Discouraged 3v owner

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure I'm going stick with the Mustang. My one quote so far to build mine is 14k and change. L&M never responded to my email.
Jegs has a complete 15-16 Coyote motor for $6900, free shipping.
Would this be a viable option, i.e apx cost to get it in my 06 and running?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I was told that what ever you think it is going to cost to do an engine or an engine swap you should double. You think it will cost $5,000, expect it to cost $10,000. Now is that really true? I don't know. But the trend it espouses is true. It will cost more than you think it will, or you think it should.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'm going stick with the Mustang. My one quote so far to build mine is 14k and change. L&M never responded to my email.

I'll emailed Michael to look for your email.

46addict

Reaction score
Not sure I'm going stick with the Mustang.

If you move to a different platform you will just trade one set of problems for another set of problems. Unless you quit the hobby altogether but what's the fun in that. At least if you keep the car you've had for years, you know what problems to expect.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Not talking about quitting the hobby, but if getting serious power from my 06 is going to cost the moon, I'll probably dump it and go with an 08-10 LS3 vette.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had my bottom end bored and built recently, heads cleaned and valves replaced, all that jazz and after everything was said and done it was around 6K. That’s including buying all my own parts which were forged rods and pistons, longtubes, upgraded clutch and other miscellaneous stuff, labor, machine shop, plus a dyno tune. Pretty good if you ask me.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could do like the shop said and drop the E-Rod LS3 in it. Instant 6.2 Mustang that is still emissions compliant with 430hp.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I did the world's cheapest ass build on my 4.6 - no machining! Just had the exhaust valves cleaned up by my buddy at the machine shop. Added cams, springs, a 3v timing set, boss rods, STOCK PISTONS, oil pump, bearings, rings, a new clutch, rebuilt my TR3650!

$5500 up here in Canada so could be done for about $3000 USD.

I keep thinking I would eventually overbore the 3V, get the heads actually rebuilt, possibly get a forged crank, etc... but the smart money is...

Buying a 2015+ F150 5.0, swapping a few parts over, selling all of my 3V stuff (for pennies on the dollar, ie: roush manifold, TVS 1.9, complete engine, cams,), using stock 5.0 Mustang headers and h pipe, getting a DOB manifold and an old rotten GT500 blower, and finishing up that way. All of the extraneous supercharging stuff I would already have in place - lines, pump, exchanger, fuel system, etc...

So I flip back and forth between ideas. I hope my current build gets me a few years.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I did the world's cheapest ass build on my 4.6 - no machining! Just had the exhaust valves cleaned up by my buddy at the machine shop. Added cams, springs, a 3v timing set, boss rods, STOCK PISTONS, oil pump, bearings, rings, a new clutch, rebuilt my TR3650!

$5500 up here in Canada so could be done for about $3000 USD.

I keep thinking I would eventually overbore the 3V, get the heads actually rebuilt, possibly get a forged crank, etc... but the smart money is...

Buying a 2015+ F150 5.0, swapping a few parts over, selling all of my 3V stuff (for pennies on the dollar, ie: roush manifold, TVS 1.9, complete engine, cams,), using stock 5.0 Mustang headers and h pipe, getting a DOB manifold and an old rotten GT500 blower, and finishing up that way. All of the extraneous supercharging stuff I would already have in place - lines, pump, exchanger, fuel system, etc...

So I flip back and forth between ideas. I hope my current build gets me a few years.

Have you got the 3v as described above, running ?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You can build anything to do anything, it's all preference.
I would definitely go to a new shop if someone told me that my car wasn't good enough or some dumb shit like that.
Some balls to say that to a customer who may be in love with their car, I'd be pretty insulted... to the point where I would get real ignorant.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score

I'm sorry...but 14k to build a 3V engine for 550whp is insane.

What did you ask them to do? I make 500 on a Procharged stock short block. For 550 I'd do just the rotating assy with oil pump gears. Everything else I built (trans/clutch/rear end) is ready for 800 hp.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score

What did you ask them to do? I make 500 on a Procharged stock short block. For 550 I'd do just the rotating assy with oil pump gears. Everything else I built (trans/clutch/rear end) is ready for 800 hp.

Chrome plating the cylinder walls, diamond coated valves & seats, forged 18k gold rods. $14k is a blingy 3v, ya know.

For real though, what shop quoted you $14k for what work? Even if they were pulling the motor and putting it in start to finish, I can't imagine more than $10k with parts/labor. And if that's the case, I'd highly recommend doing more of the work yourself. Have machine shop work the block and assemble the shortblock, you provide them with the parts. You put the heads and the rest of the motor together and drop it in. Most expensive shortblock I've done was $4700 because the kid wanted to do the 302 stroker motor (not to be confused with a 298 stroker). His block had to be sleeved because of the custom CP pistons required an exact stock bore, they didn't make those pistons in a 10, 20, or 30 over. Otherwise most of the shortblocks I've had done were ~$3500 on average. And don't knock Eagle products, they do just as well as any Manley setup I've seen and can usually be found much cheaper. Always stock cranks with the exception of a couple cobra motors and their re-used forged cranks. Machine work costs should average around $1800-2200 for a simple forged shortblock. I've missed the old days.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend doing more of the work yourself. Have machine shop work the block and assemble the shortblock, you provide them with the parts.

The OP said he can't find anybody around the KC area that'll work on the motor for him.

There has got to a shop out there ...

Here's an article on a built 3v where the work was done around KC.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/a-tried-and-true-1000hp-street-cartravis-crutchers-twin-turbo-2010-s197-ford-mustang/

Two shops listed in that build,, MTR Performance // CNA Performance.

Looks like MTR hasn't updated their FB page recently, CNA looks to be a chassis shop but somebody's gotta build der motors ...

Also found Howard's Automotive ... They have a drag radial wearing 'Yote on their page so maybe they know a guy who knows a guy :)

http://www.howardautokc.com/amenities/

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score

I completely agree with this. Don’t be discouraged. For that power level, you have a lot of budget-friendly options. I’ve been going nuts with my build, but only because I am looking for nutty power levels. Going for <800hp, opens a lot of doors.
Do you have a local machine shop to bore it? If you don’t trust their machine work, depending on miles, maybe go stock bore and assembly yourself.

I completely get what you are saying though about the ridiculous quotes on these blocks though. A lot of it is misleading too, like they advertise the blocks as 1000hp+, but then you have all the options you have to add to make that true, and the price goes through the roof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Drive 55, I'm seriously in your debt. All 3 of those look promising and I will be contacting them Mon.
Apparently I didn't do my homework, as these are in my own backyard!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back