Drag Radials?

Maypo

Reaction score
I have a set of 255 45 R 18 Yokohama S4's on my '06 GT Convertible. They are 10 years old and I was looking to replace them this summer. Any suggestions on tires? I'd like to take it to the strip a few times next year and was thinking of going the drag radial route. Any thoughts? The car has 4.10 gears, Comp NSR cams, Steeda Cold Air Kit and BAMA tune. I plan on installing a TCI street fighter converter this summer as well. Thanks!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What size rear wheels does the car have?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
MT has an ET Street S/S DR that is fully street legal that shows it will fit your 18x8.5 factory rim. That is about your only option I know of. They are 28" tires that many run with 4.10's with a 3200-3500 stall converter on an N/A setup. Good luck. Otherwise you need to decide on a rear wheel setup that will offer you more options.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they are 8.5” wide then the MT ET S/S in a 275/45/18 would be a good fit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it will work well IMO

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't that a bit wide for 8.5" width wheels? Their website shows minimum recommended width is 9".

They used to provide a min max on the site as I recall. The site layout and sizing pages have changed since I was on it just before Christmas. I am assuming that is an optimal size rim over the previous min/max they used to provide.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Just about ANY new tire is gonna be better than the current tires, if they're really 10 years old.
Anything over 6-7 years of age and the tires turn hard, and the chance of tread separation or dry rotting goes up a lot.
Ford, Chrysler, and others recommend replacing tires when they get 7 years old, regardless if the tread is worn or not.
And that's 7 years from the manufacture date, which is the last 4 digits in the DOT code on the sidewall (usually on the inside sidewall) - the first 2 digits of those 4 numbers are the week number of the year they were built in, the last 2 digits is the year itself ... 2313 would be the 23rd week of 2013.

All that having been said, I think the "MT ET S/S in a 275/45/18" that stkjock mentioned should fit fine and work very well on those wheels. That size measures out to be about 27.74" tall, a great height for the back of a late-model Mustang

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back