Dyno #s and Competition Boost A Pump Questions Warning! LOng!

JCuZzO1

Cajun JiHAd RaCinG
Reaction score
Hey Guys I heard this forum has some good tech guys floatin around so here goes nuttin. Thank you for any Advise!!!!

08 GT500
Quick Mod list: Upper, Lower, Posi Port, Steeda intake, OffroadX, Afco etc..

Installed the KB Competition 20.V Boost A Pump. Which was Installed the Night before the dyno as Instructed Except for One thing..... When We ran the wires up front for the Hobbs switch which reads boost and Vacuum we just twisted the two wires togehter Basically activating the Boost a Pump at full kick all the time. We figured in the Morning my tuner would either 1. Tune the car with it on like this, or 2. Just hook up the Hobbs switch. Ok Nxt morning I drove the car 200+ miles to my tuner, when we arrived I showed him where we deviated from the Instructions and he said it probably wouldnt matter since the BAP is wired in Before the Fuel Pump Driver Modules so we tuned It like Installed. After 4 hours on the Dyno of tuning the Drivabilily etc the Car was spot ON!! 625rwhp 622rwtq with the Pumps operating at only 68% Duty Cycle at WOT. Soo... I tear out Back onto the Highyway Blew the tires away alll the way threw 2nd and half way into 3rd the car fell on its face at about 4500rpm... hmmm.. turned around pulled back into shop. Popped the Hood and low and behold.. the top of the very front driverside injector had pushed the fuel rail up exposeing the oring misting fuel out!!!!!!!!! WTF!! Ive never had these fuel rails off and the car has 9k miles on it!! Im quite sure it takes an EXTREME amount of Fuel Rail Pressure for this to happen.. I just dnt know how? Ok, So nxt We pull the plug on that Cylinder, check it. Put a new oring on injecter and reseat it. Now we attempt to make a Pull on the dyno and have to shut down way early due to only 11psi of fuel pressure coming to the rails.....After checking all fuel connections over and over my tuner said that we may have Overdrivin one of the pumps when it tried to compensate for the lean conditon caused when injecter blew... Soooo we tryed to limp back home on one pump and after 100 miles the second one goes out.. Sweet.... after waiting 30min for Ford Roadside to come I try and crank the car and it starts up and Idles fine! Hmmm...but then 20 min later car starts shaking and kills... so. We called Kenne Bell and they Said that you cant just bypass the Hobbs switch an direct wire it "on all the time" on the 20v Comp. Kit because its to much voltage for the pumps, but my question is...Its still gotta go through the FPDMs before the pumps.. Soooo The car is on the rack right now getting a Brand new Sender Unit with new Pumps and Im goin to hook up the hobbs switch then bring it back to my tuner to get tuned on the switch. Question Is.. Does what kenne bell said make sense, about not being able to just twist the two wire together and tune it like that? Surely Someone has tried this before no? And What the heck would cause the pressure in the fuel rail to get high enough to lift off that injector? If you have read all of this thank you so much for your time! Any advise greatly appreciated!!!! _John.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I have the BAP wired like that too so it is on full duty 100% of the time. Brenspeed even sent me their own schematic for installing like this saying that KB's method was unnecessary and extensive. No problems so far.

JCuZzO1

Cajun JiHAd RaCinG
Reaction score
Ahhhh I was afraid my thoughts along with my tuners are right.... damn Thanks Brother!!!

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I had a 40 amp BAP with the stock fuel pump on mt GT and it was wired the same way. If i'm not mistaken, the 40 amp BAP only output 17V. Sounds like the comp. version puts out a little more.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I wouldnt see why they would not wire up the same way. Rather than tapping into 1 FPDM, you would be wiring it inline on both for both pumps. I would check your ground wire and make sure the connection on your fuel pumps are good. I had that problem. On my piggy back fuel system from procharger, I have 2 pumps but one driver. The connection on one of the pumps was only twisted with a dab of solder. It wasnt pulling the correct amount of power so it wasnt running correctly. That is why I was leaning out so bad on the top end. Fixing that also fixed my fuel problems.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may be experiencing thermal shutdown of the fpdm's with that 20 volts. If one pump/fpdm shutdown that full 20v went to the one fpdm/pump and then shut the other down. After it cools down it will work again, and then happen again, seems like this may have been the case. How many amps is the sytem drawing?

Im running the 40amp 17vdc bap as well, so no experince with the 20volt.

JCuZzO1

Cajun JiHAd RaCinG
Reaction score
You may be experiencing thermal shutdown of the fpdm's with that 20 volts. If one pump/fpdm shutdown that full 20v went to the one fpdm/pump and then shut the other down. After it cools down it will work again, and then happen again, seems like this may have been the case. How many amps is the sytem drawing?

Im running the 40amp 17vdc bap as well, so no experince with the 20volt.

Well That makes Sense!! Although...Night b4 last When I swaped the old fuel pumps out with new ones, (car is cold) we started the car took it out on the street and made a cpl pulls from a roll, While It doesnt fall on its face anymore it pulls all the way through..The Fuel Rail pressure jumps to A high of 40psi then falls to 22psi during the pull I was letting out at 5000rpms FPDC the way my X3 is reading was showing a max of .46.... So while It feels like its pulling hard I still dont think its gettin enough fuel...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What pumps did you put in? The ford supercar 255lph pumps are variable speed pumps, ie they are ment to flow more as you increase voltage. (idea for use with a bap) The stock gt500 pumps aren't really ment to run on a bap but it can be done they just wont flow as good as a true variable speed pump.
what size injectors? Btw i have my 40amp bap wired the same way hobb switch wired together set on full rich 17vdc to the fpdm then from there it adjusted to the pumps.
I see 60psi on startup, idles at 30psi and throttle tip in it shoots up to 45-50psi then steady's out in boost.

JCuZzO1

Cajun JiHAd RaCinG
Reaction score
Just went back with new stock pumps... stock injectors....still don't have any further news...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just went back with new stock pumps... stock injectors....still don't have any further news...

I made 560rwhp with just 2 ford gt supercar pumps on the stock gt hat no bap (75% duty cycle). And with the 17v bap made 603rwhp, with 60lb injectors.(60% durty cycle now) I would put 255 pumps on your gt500 hat, even at 12vds they flow lsightly more and get bigger injectors and temporaly remove the bap. This should easily support your currently hp, and do it alot safer without the bap. And if you want to increase power later you can hook up the bap and it will work better with the variable speed walboro pumps. The 20v bap just is overkill anyway at your level unless you are trying to go north of 800hp.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back