Exhaust 'burble'

teeje

Reaction score
I have a quick question. I was told its normal but I have an 08 gt hot rod cams offroad x pipe two resonators jlt series 3 cai and ford performance intake manifold. Sometimes when I'm cruising slowly and holding the throttle at about 2-2200 ish rpms I dont feel a miss per se but the exhaust has like a burble kind of like a quiet pop and was wondering what it could be. It's kind of hear to explain. Wish I could record it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Should be able to hear it while parked with the engine revved holding it. I have the same problem, There are a few things that could cause this.

1.Tune
2. Bad COP
3. Vacuum leak

Haven't have time to eliminate COP on mine yet. After data logging mine I think mine is tune related.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
Yeah hold it and you can hear it burble in neutral. What is COP?

Edit..coil on plug?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Coil on plug. The boot over your plugs. I was told to buy a new one and pull one boot at a time to see which one is bad. If no change then put the old one back on and move to the next one. The dealer has way to check them for what I was told. If you retuned the car lately my guess is there. If it smells really rich chances are it's one of the COP acting up.

Have you remove any COP lately? Who tuned the car?

All things I have read a lot about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You do the COP boots as a form of maintenance, think of them like spark plug wires. Dnn't do them one at a time, do them as a set, often with fresh spark plugs.
If a coil is bad you should be coding out fro a misfire, eventually. Fords take a lot of cycles to throw a code.
The cams will add to this feeling you are perceiving, 2000-2200rpm is barely out of the range the cams begin to be happy in. Steeper gears will help with this felling too by taking some of the load off the engine at lower RPMs.

teeje

Reaction score
I dont have a misfire at all. But I agree with above post. I think it's just the cam

teeje

Reaction score
Speaking of coils, what would you guys recommend as far as brand? Im thinking oem but I want to see what others think

46addict

Reaction score
OEM coils are best. Another simple thing to check is plug gap and making sure the plugs are tightly seated. I've had plugs come loose on me in the past. The consensus on the gap for NA cars is .045".

My car with a similar setup was smooth from 1200rpm to redline on Lito's tune. Below 1200 the car would buck with the beat of the cam lope, and that obviously isn't tune related. But if cam timing and injector timing are not accounted for correctly in the tune, you could have issues like you're describing.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on the car? Plugs are supposed to be changed at 50k-mile intervals. You might want to be proactive and just swap all the plugs and COP.

Go with Motorcraft (Ford OEM) for both.

teeje

Reaction score
Plugs are oem motorcraft replaced less than 5,000 miles ago. New engine with about 10,000 miles on it not including my mods. COPs have over 100,000 miles on them presumed original. Ive read about the MSD blasters. Are those any good? Im not really looking for hp gains, im not stupid with that but more of supporting mods for the future when i go FI

teeje

Reaction score
Best place to get them? I dont want to go to fleabay. And I dont want to be charged an arm and a leg.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Go oem.

I bought the 07+ coil set of 8 from American muscle. And replaced the boots to fit my 06.

Other than the boot it's the same, and was a lot cheaper than buying 8 individual coils

teeje

Reaction score
Well, my stang is an 08 manufactured 11/07 so they wont fit. Ended up getting the MSD blasters since they fit up to mid 08's. Everywhere ive gone wants way more than the deal i got the MSDs at. They always help me out and give me a military discount so I saved a few bucks.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
they will fit. the only difference is the rubber boot, which i told you i swapped so it would fit my pre-update head's.

Aftermarket are waste of money and tend to just go to shit earlier than OEM

teeje

Reaction score
they will fit. the only difference is the rubber boot, which i told you i swapped so it would fit my pre-update head's.

Aftermarket are waste of money and tend to just go to shit earlier than OEM
Hopefully thats not the case. I've read into them and seen all positive reviews so thats good.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
thats what i told him.

apparently MSD was better because my option "didnt fit" even though i said exactly what to do to make them fit earlier heads

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back