Exhaust 'burble'

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
thats what i told him.

apparently MSD was better because my option "didnt fit" even though i said exactly what to do to make them fit earlier heads
I think he bought the coils before ever asking the question

teeje

Reaction score
No I didnt buy them right away. I saw your aforementioned post but it wasn't very clear to me what you had to do in order to get them to fit until after I bought them. Wish I would've known before I bought them. In any case, if they fail then I will return them and buy the other ones. I want aware the boots could be separated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
In for the "I installed MSD Coils and now my car runs like shit" post.
:popcorn:
Litos doing a tune for me, as for the MSDs, Ive seen 100s of good reviews compared to the handful of bad reviews where people have had issues with them and MOST updated their review by saying it was a bad plug or something other than the coil itself. If one person has issues with a product then i guess the product is terrible. I've heard about the same reviews in comparison to good and band with msds and the ford performance coils. I am by no means insulting anyone's intelligence here as it definitely looks like you guys are seasoned with stangs and i trust you whole heatedly, but, It seems as if the good reviews are only worth a penny and lets say there is about 100 'pennies' and each bad review is worth a quarter and lets say there is only a handful of 'quarters' all of a sudden a product sucks and those few bad reviews outweighs all of the good. If they suck, then ill bite the bullet. I will admit I should have asked if I could make them work before buying, but thats my mistake and I'll learn if it bites me in the butt, however I'll know for the future. There's many variables that come into play as far as issues people have had. I've done my research and heard both sides of the story. I wouldn't just throw bad parts at my car. I will keep you guys updated even if it takes 30,000 miles for one to go.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
They will degrade much faster than factory coils. Factory coils usually only go bad because the spark plugs are old and/or the boots develop high resistance stressing them. That being said, as long as you replace the plugs in a timely manner and clean or replace the boots every once in a while the coils themselves will last for a long time.

Fwiw, most stock type coils are made in the same factory in china. A member on another forum ,CliffyK, performed many tests on many different brands of coils and has data to back it up. Now this is in the 2v world but all else being equal the coils should be the same, though I do realize theyre not the exact same.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Litos doing a tune for me, as for the MSDs, Ive seen 100s of good reviews compared to the handful of bad reviews where people have had issues with them and MOST updated their review by saying it was a bad plug or something other than the coil itself. If one person has issues with a product then i guess the product is terrible. I've heard about the same reviews in comparison to good and band with msds and the ford performance coils. I am by no means insulting anyone's intelligence here as it definitely looks like you guys are seasoned with stangs and i trust you whole heatedly, but, It seems as if the good reviews are only worth a penny and lets say there is about 100 'pennies' and each bad review is worth a quarter and lets say there is only a handful of 'quarters' all of a sudden a product sucks and those few bad reviews outweighs all of the good. If they suck, then ill bite the bullet. I will admit I should have asked if I could make them work before buying, but thats my mistake and I'll learn if it bites me in the butt, however I'll know for the future. There's many variables that come into play as far as issues people have had. I've done my research and heard both sides of the story. I wouldn't just throw bad parts at my car. I will keep you guys updated even if it takes 30,000 miles for one to go.
You need to understand those reviews on American Muscle are not long term but rather posted before installation or shortly after.
In the drag racing world MSD coils are known to fail...often. Do they preform? Yes. DO they last? Sometimes.

teeje

Reaction score
You need to understand those reviews on American Muscle are not long term but rather posted before installation or shortly after.
In the drag racing world MSD coils are known to fail...often. Do they preform? Yes. DO they last? Sometimes.
Yes, I understand. I read reviews other than on american muscle. WHile their reviews help, I don't really trust them unless I see reviews from other sources.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Yes, I understand. I read reviews other than on american muscle. WHile their reviews help, I don't really trust them unless I see reviews from other sources.
Not to split hairs, but this applies to all reviews, most if not all of them are not long term reviews. Just some helpful info, I have no dog in this fight.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ this is why I said to only buy one and find the bad one. Service tech at ford said that it's not likely that all will go bad at the same time just find the one that's bad. There is a tsb in the tech thread on the coils and i don't feel like regurgitating its information back in this thread. I would replace the coils if I were the OP knowing the mileage. However why throw part at something your not sure is ever the problem. Many who have posted here have said those very words in other threads. Smart move by the OP to have Lito retune or at least look over the current tune. Shitty tunes seem to be the root cause of many common problems throughout my reading. I bought the MSD blasters becuse of there color lol, not becuse I needed all of them I just didn't want to play the hunt an peck game. Btw I do trust all of your opinions otherwise I wouldn't hang around. It's great to hear everyones thoughts and opinions so nothing is missed. Seeing it a different way can be enlightening. Wow those rum and cokes went down good!!! Good luck teeje.

P.s rocketcarX has me rethinking the install of the MSD coils. [emoji848] i just like the look for my theme/style. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
/\ this is why I said to only buy one and find the bad one. Service tech at ford said that it's not likely that all will go bad at the same time just find the one that's bad. There is a tsb in the tech thread on the coils and i don't feel like regurgitating its information back in this thread. I would replace the coils if I were the OP knowing the mileage. However why throw part at something your not sure is ever the problem. Many who have posted here have said those very words in other threads. Smart move by the OP to have Lito retune or at least look over the current tune. Shitty tunes seem to be the root cause of many common problems throughout my reading. I bought the MSD blasters becuse of there color lol, not becuse I needed all of them I just didn't want to play the hunt an peck game. Btw I do trust all of your opinions otherwise I wouldn't hang around. It's great to hear everyones thoughts and opinions so nothing is missed. Seeing it a different way can be enlightening. Wow those rum and cokes went down good!!! Good luck teeje.

P.s rocketcarX has me rethinking the install of the MSD coils. [emoji848] i just like the look for my theme/style. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I upgrade my car based on what it needs, if you need the hotter coils, than run them, lol. The shorter life doesn't make them a bad part, just not something I would jump to send money on if my car is performing great with the stockers.

46addict

Reaction score
There are several members here who are running the MSD coils with no issues but for what it's worth I would still run OEM in mine.

teeje

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions as well but I thought it would be worth mentioning I'm just replacing because of mileage. Plugs are new, engine is new, and I'd feel more comfortable with new coils, well just because preventative maintenance is always good.

teeje

Reaction score
Update. Lito must be the man because I just flashed his base tune to data log the idle and it started much better and idles good so far

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
Yep, was all in the tune. Lito is the man. Just working on fine tuning the idle and return to idle and what not but so far no more 'skip' feeling I guess you could say. Coils are installed too, they work just fine. This goes to show how crap the guesstimated tunes from bama are. For those of you who have bama tunes, do yourself a favor and get a tune from lito. Thankfully, I didnt have to pay for tunes for life with bama as they came with my tuner so I lucked out there.

teeje

Reaction score
I just wanted to update, litos tune is awesome. Made more HP from bamas tune. AFR was on point and I mean damn near perfetc 12-12.5 from start to redline on the dyno before even connecting a wideband. Now just fine tuning idle and what not.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back