exhaust diameter questions, also ebay long tube headers any good? please advise

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I'd more expect engine rotation on its mounts from the torque reaction to be the cause of contact between a header tube and the steering column.

Norm

That's another reason when LT's are used... to install stiffer eng mounts, like the steeda etc. Typ steering shaft to primary #8 on a LT is not an issue, unless, the eng has been lowered too much. With the steeda and most other aftermarket eng mounts, they allow for a stock eng height, or a 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 " eng drop. I used the 1/4" eng drop, and had no issues with steering shaft, and jba lt's. But LT designs can vary greatly.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Youre probably right its been a while. I bet that pacesetters would do pretty well too since they also have 1 3/4" primaries. I havent done much research or math but I wonder which would make the most all around power for the street due to primary length. I guess its all peanuts in the big picture though. Really how much more did the macs make more than the other brands, I bet it wasnt much but I am still curious.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/m5lp-0904-s197-ford-mustang-headers/

Not a ton. Again, test was really tilted in favor of the 1 3/4" headers due to it being a supercharged car with ported heads.

I wish they could have gotten a couple other brands into the test like Pacesetter, and maybe Dynatech. Both of those have 1 3/4" primaries so I'd be interested to see how a full length 1 3/4" header performed against a mid-length.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/m5lp-0904-s197-ford-mustang-headers/

Not a ton. Again, test was really tilted in favor of the 1 3/4" headers due to it being a supercharged car with ported heads.

I wish they could have gotten a couple other brands into the test like Pacesetter, and maybe Dynatech. Both of those have 1 3/4" primaries so I'd be interested to see how a full length 1 3/4" header performed against a mid-length.

Oh wow. I guess on an na application one header isnt really much better than another. Im glad I got what I got lol.

I bet a large primary like that would give a nice boost in the mid range.

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just found a set of long tube headers on ebay for cheap, auction basicly states seller is cleaning out a warehouse with expired lease, they have lots of exhaust componets for sale and several sets for 05-10 4.6's they are 104.00 shipped!! seller has perfect feedback.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122730083077

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I recently bought those exact headers for 80 bucks shipped. I like the quality of them but Im a little disapointed that the primary diameter is about 1.5" instead of the more typical 1 5/8. Its only an 1/8" difference but that still bothers me. Nonetheless, there are still gains to be had with them and for the price imo its worth it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I use the pypes long tubes (kooks copy) I couldn't see myself spending over $1,000 for long tubes but I also didn't feel comfortable with spending $200.
Pypes are 304 stainless and that is the important part, just like the kooks are.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pypes-HDR5...ash=item25cdc8c350:g:d1sAAOSwo4pYguvE&vxp=mtr
s-l500.jpg

I also remember some people running some "brothers" long tubes, but I remember in the instruction was the fact that you had to hammer a dent into one of the tubes so fuck a bunch of that.

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
I recently bought those exact headers for 80 bucks shipped. I like the quality of them but Im a little disapointed that the primary diameter is about 1.5" instead of the more typical 1 5/8. Its only an 1/8" difference but that still bothers me. Nonetheless, there are still gains to be had with them and for the price imo its worth it.
post up how your install goes...not sure when ill put mine on, I have hot rod cams sittin in the garage too. I need to take a sick day from work!!

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Too bad theyre not stainless. There used to be a seller on ebay that sold stainless pacesetter copies with an h pipe for under 500 bucks. I dont ever see them anymore.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
I was patient, craigslist can be your friend. I scored a Mac offroad H for $100 & backed it up with Pypes Violators and its sweet. Its mellow, till you tell it not to be. I get the common what the hell is in that thing question at least once a week! Someone in california didnt feel like changing his exhaust everytime emissions comes due.

Speedrcr43

Reaction score
Picked up a set of the ebay headers the other day.
304 stainless, thick 3/8" flanges, really nice welds.
Looked at a set of Pypes the other day and these are virtually identical. The biggest difference we can see is the Pypes headers were completely welded at the flange inside and out. The ebays were welded inside, but only tacked on the outside. Not a big deal at all.
Someone said the tubes were under 1 5/8" and closer to 1 1/2".... not on these. They were right under 1 5/8", but it really depended on were the measurement was taken. The o2 bungs had real good welds and the collector flange was very thick.
I really don't see were somone who hasn't seen these in person can make an opinion and tell everyone how bad they are.
From what I can tell these are probably made by the same company that is making the ones for pypes. I now a lot of companies that source there private label parts from the exact same vendor and they both just spec the differences.... holes for looks, hardware, finish etc.
And for those who care, I've been in the parts buisness for close to 30 yrs

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The steering shaft rubbing was bothering me and it actually got worse over time where I could start feeling the vibrations through the steering wheel. Guess even though I shift the engine over, over time it settled back? I dunno.

I really didn't want to remove the header to ding it and actually tried while it was still on the car and didn't have enough leverage.

I was lucky enough to find a used left side header only (ebay to the rescue again!) and took a chance as they seemed like actual Pypes and not the copy of a copy.

Also it being used I did not see any markings where it would rub so I went ahead and installed the left side only today.

It was hard to tell the difference at first until I decided to measure the offending primary and there was about 1/2" difference in clearance where the tube bends away from the flanges. Other than that they were identical to the point were if I wasn't paying attention I would of tried to reinstall the wrong ones again, haha!

I will post some pics up soon of what I'm on about.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
eBay Left vs Pypes Right:
3ea21706d34cda9aa246630594348774.jpg

Pypes tube from flange distance:
23538643fae326ab907f40fc7ee9faab.jpg

Ebay tube from flangr distance:
b7438cdcfeb10ea583cee4f4439e2027.jpg

Just measuring the difference
b2377558c49daa66c0048cb8b7abca52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
well, my ebay headers are headed to the trash, the steering shaft may as well go right through the primary pack.

I can't really think of what I could change, can't reroute the steering shaft. I did learn a lot about wrapping headers etc... during this process. One day may come in handy. For now just about $340 -> $0. Plus my midpipe design that will no longer work with this setup... Deciding what to do, I believe I'll go back to stock headers with an offroad H.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
well, my ebay headers are headed to the trash, the steering shaft may as well go right through the primary pack.

I can't really think of what I could change, can't reroute the steering shaft. I did learn a lot about wrapping headers etc... during this process. One day may come in handy. For now just about $340 -> $0. Plus my midpipe design that will no longer work with this setup... Deciding what to do, I believe I'll go back to stock headers with an offroad H.
If you want I can send you my old one. It rubbed on the steering shaft as well but not that bad, yours sounds like it's completely blocking it the shaftway?. You can ding it before installing it.

Just pay for shipping.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
problem is it's a completely different design - which I could accommodate for since I'm building the midpipe but... I'm just going to take this thing out, unwrap it, see what's up and possibly move a primary forward and in a bit or just make dent(s).

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to dent mine too but I came across the left side only plus since I had to remove it anyways decided to just swap it instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back