exhaust help

Phantom

Reaction score
So I bought this car with Pype bombs, stock mid pipe and headers. Read all about the glory of the O/R X, so bought a pypes and put it on. Trumpeting was too much. Bought a pair of pypes m-80s, but exhaust shop wouldnt weld them on because they said they wouldnt fit( yet there is a catback with them mid mounted???) Bought a set of stock mufflers, put them on, way to quiet and raspy. Got a set of magnaflows welded in, and stuck with them for about a year. The other day i decided i wanted to change it up, so i took it to get some glasspacks welded in. Few problems
1) muffler guy welded them in backwards, this does make a difference right?
2) I like the volume, just not the raspyiness. Should i get an O/R H or resonators mid mounted?
3) Is a mac pro chamber worth 200 over the H? just wanting to eliminate the rasp.

kwadkins

forum member
Reaction score
They are going to tell you to move this because it's not tech. But I had a similar experience. I welded 2 30 inch glass packs after the mid pipe and it seemed to help. How long are yours ?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
As mentioned, this is not tech. Also, it appears that this is your first post, and it's not an introductory one.

There are SEVERAL discussions on exhaust tones and volume in this forum at your fingertips via the Search button.

Catback systems usually feature larger diameter OTA pipes and I'm guessing the guy at the muffler shop didn't want to mess with creating adapters for the inlets/outlets.

Try an o/r H or put high flow cats on.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ex pipe might be causing some of the raspy sounds. Who knows. I don't even know what raspy is. My kr's snap like glass packs on backwards in 1 7/8 pipe in an old 305 chev pickup blowing smoke rings at low rpm under load. Sound amazing up top.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So I bought this car with Pype bombs, stock mid pipe and headers. Read all about the glory of the O/R X, so bought a pypes and put it on. Trumpeting was too much. Bought a pair of pypes m-80s, but exhaust shop wouldnt weld them on because they said they wouldnt fit( yet there is a catback with them mid mounted???) Bought a set of stock mufflers, put them on, way to quiet and raspy. Got a set of magnaflows welded in, and stuck with them for about a year. The other day i decided i wanted to change it up, so i took it to get some glasspacks welded in. Few problems
2) I like the volume, just not the raspyiness. Should i get an O/R H or resonators mid mounted?
3) Is a mac pro chamber worth 200 over the H? just wanting to eliminate the rasp.

The pro chamber is worth it imo. They tone the exhaust down into something that sounds good. Any H setup sounds better than an X with the 3v imo. The pro chamber is at the top of the pack imo. I've had one and heard them on several setups, they always sound good.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

I had JBA LT's installed..along with mating JBA high flow catted H. Mufflers are FRS-500..and were in way b4 the LT's. Way too loud..and had drone at 1900 rpm. M80's welded in.... just b4 the rear axle. The oem slots on each end of the M80 were sliced off 1st..prior to welding. (that reduces their overall length a bunch). There was loads of room for the M80s. Enough to stagger them if you wanted to. Knocked the sound level down to acceptable..and just a bit of drone remaining. If I had to do it again, I would try staggering the M80's.... and get one of em closer to the rear axle.... then shift the 2nd one several inchs forward.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back