Exhaust question

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on the virge of completing a 351w swap into my car, and after starting it the first time, I'm not really happy with the volume - I want t to be louder and a bit sharper, yet not cop-stopping loud or ear drum piercing sharp.

I'm currently using a Magnaflow Streets system, and it uses glass-baffled cans with 4-inch resonator tips. I don't want to buy a new setup right now, so I'm looking for cheap ways to make the system louder.

What we tried so far:

0) Running with the existing setup (too quiet)

1) Running without mufflers (cop-stopping loud)

2) Running with 12-inch resonators on the end of the pipes (less sharpness, but still cop stopping loud - we all agree that it sounds REALLY good this way)

Here are my ideas:

0) Replace the resonator tips with non-resonator tips.

1) Remove muffler packing, and leave the resonator tips on them.

2) Remove muffler packing, weld in the resonators just after the xpipe, and leave the resonator tips on the mufflers.

3) Remove muffler packing, weld in the resonators just after the xpipe, and put non-resonator tips on the mufflers.

Looking for opinions here.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Why did you do this swap? Are you affiliated with the shop you are advertising in you sig?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was V6...

But why a pushrod? He put a 351 Windsor in. The pics on the website he's advertising show a GT. It also shows a GT500 with a pushrod swap.

I'm wondering what the motive is for going backwards like that for a street car? Some do it to cars that are purpose built for racing but I don't understand why it would be done with a street car so I asked.

He's losing power, driveability, fuel economy, rpm range, etc. Just wondering why. Also wondering if his shop was doing the swap.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back