Exhaust welding remove computer?

BOBS197

forum member
Reaction score
Having some welding done in my muffler area Thursday, Should I remove the computer from the car or remove cables from battery? Back in the 80s was told to pull out the ecu during roll bar install. I did a search for welding, Thanks for any help.:thumb:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot come up with any good reason that you should be concerned about it.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just disconnect the battery cables to be on the safe side, that's all I have ever done and never had any troubles. I have only seen one or two pieces of heavy equipment where the manufacturer recommends disconnecting the computer.

BOBS197

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Did not want to remove ecu.Better to ask first!!

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I'd recommend unplugging the connections on the PCM as well as the battery. I have seen a PCM get destroyed during body work. It took a lot of time to figure out what was wrong with the vehicle.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
To be extra safe pull the positive cable off, taking the negative off doesn't help anything because the computor is grounded anyway, Like said above hook the ground lead as close to the wielding as possible and then take a battery jumper cable and ground the chassis of the car to a good ground in the shop. It's overkill but safe.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
when i welded in my sub frame connectors i did not unplug or remove my computer. that was 40k miles ago.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back