Failsafe mode after throttle body cleaning.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
You mean by letting it sit with the battery disconnected?.. Yes I have.

There were not any codes when I dropped the pedal.. It hesitated and would not accelerate.. Like someone was choking the engine. I nudged the pedal along and it eventually evened our and accelerated like there was too much gas in the ignition chamber. Then it lit up the CEL

No, I mean clearing the codes with a scanner.

Hunter.shawnRN

Reaction score
Any other ideas on what it could be? Just trying to narrow things down... What about the vct solenoids? Could they be keeping the phasers from actuating correctly and result in valve mistime? Seems like that would cause fuel/air imbalance. Just a theory.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Since your lean codes point to bank 1, I would check the 02 sensor. Easiest thing to do is swap the left and right 02 sensors and see if the lean codes move to bank 2 after sensor swap.
I just changes the O2 sensors in mine and I would LOVE to know the "Easy" way to change the front sensors!!!! Especially the drivers side.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
First in this followup, did you pull and clean the MAF while getting to the TB? Most people do. Is so did you use MAF cleaner or TB cleaner? If MAF you should be good. If TB cleaner you may have damaged the sensor in the MAF. Equally important IF you removed the MAF from the air tube (especially if an aftermarket CAI tube) did the MAF get put back in so that it meters air properly? There is an arrow on the MAF sensor that will indicate the direction it should be installed, which would be with the opening of the MAF sensor facing flow (or toward the air cleaner). That could also cause problems and erroneous PCM codes.

Second - here is a video on relearn on Ford ETC vehicles. THis may help you out some.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4DD1877C46DC4BF547DF4DD1877C46DC4&FORM=VRDGAR

Hope this helps.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just changes the O2 sensors in mine and I would LOVE to know the "Easy" way to change the front sensors!!!! Especially the drivers side.

Pull the engine! /jk

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Pull the engine! /jk

Probably easier than doing it inframe! And I have the tools and experience, just getting old and not as flexible but still.............. WHAT WERE THEY THNKING!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Probably easier than doing it inframe! And I have the tools and experience, just getting old and not as flexible but still.............. WHAT WERE THEY THNKING!

I probably should have put 2 new front 02s in before I put the engine in.....but I was being cheap......and the sensors seem to be Ok @80,000+ miles. It is a bit tight in there..hehehe

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score

46addict

Reaction score
I probably should have put 2 new front 02s in before I put the engine in.....but I was being cheap......and the sensors seem to be Ok @80,000+ miles. It is a bit tight in there..hehehe

Pull the engine (or drop the K) and install longtubes. Then your front o2s will be out in the open. ;)

46addict

Reaction score
Since your lean codes point to bank 1, I would check the 02 sensor. Easiest thing to do is swap the left and right 02 sensors and see if the lean codes move to bank 2 after sensor swap.
He has a lean code on both banks.

Any other ideas on what it could be? Just trying to narrow things down... What about the vct solenoids? Could they be keeping the phasers from actuating correctly and result in valve mistime? Seems like that would cause fuel/air imbalance. Just a theory.
Check the TB coupling that connects the intake tube to TB and look for any tears or cracks. And also look at the intake tube itself to check for holes or leaks. Vacuum leaks in this area can trigger lean codes. Leaks at the air filter can also trigger codes and/or failsafe mode. Incorrect cam timing can cause a fuel trim imbalance but let's not go there yet, rule out the simple stuff first.

The MAF sensor could be going bad. On cold start does it behave better with the MAF unplugged? Do you have any spare MAFs or know of a friend who will let you borrow one to test?

You said the fuel trims are 20%+. Does it get closer to 0 when you increase RPM to say, 2000? If so that will confirm a vacuum leak, or an exhaust leak near the front o2 sensors. I doubt it's exhaust related though, because it's unlikely for both exhaust manifolds to have issues at once.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Pull the engine (or drop the K) and install longtubes. Then your front o2s will be out in the open. ;)

Not so fast.... lol
I need to get it running properly as a bone stock '13, with all emission monitors completing and all the minor bugs worked out.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have to reset the memory with that jumper trick every time you disconnect the battery? I've replaced the battery, the alternator and cleaned the throttle body and have never done that.

I have never had to reteach my TB for any reason. I have replaced batteries, had batteries go dead and recharge them, I've disconnected TB's to clean them, and have never had to go through this on my prior 05,13 or present 14 GT. However i have never replaced a TB or repair a TB that I broke which may require doing this.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I suggested to completely wipe the KAM because of all of the conflicting codes and issues and constant changes and repairs. Start fresh after the last change/repair. Sometimes disconnecting the battery does not clear the KAM.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I suggested to completely wipe the KAM because of all of the conflicting codes and issues and constant changes and repairs. Start fresh after the last change/repair. Sometimes disconnecting the battery does not clear the KAM.

The video shows how to discharge the super caps in the PCM that retains KAM when battery voltage is not present. As you stated simply diosconnecting the battery doesn't always work. Additionally KAM can be cleared through the SCT X3 tuner for sure (mine has the option anyway) and likely the X4. Can't speak for non SCT brand tuner units.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
Battery disconnect might clear the KAM, but I always use a scan tool/ IDS or SCT handheld.

Back to the problem. You solved the TB issue, but I think you are ignoring the other thing you did...clean the MAF. If the MAF is damaged, it will throw off air intake measurement...which is used to calculate fuel trims, throwing them off as well. The cam position is also determined by load calculated by the PCM. Load is calculated by RPM, airflow and TPS. So, the cam position codes could be from the TB issue or the MAF or both.

Borrow a MAF from a buddies car and see what it does.

Tim @ Maximum Velocity

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back