fence building advice.

seethesvt

forum member
Reaction score
I work on airplanes, not a carpenter, but a fence shouldn't be too tough...
Just looking for pointers... Only 44 feet, 20 here, 24 there. A gate on each side, 8 feet between posts, 4 feet high, 2 foot deep posts...

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
the two things i found were
1. use screws instaed of nails.
2. i bought my wood from a local lumber store. it was more expensive but they hand select the boards to ensure quality.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Not very difficult, just time consuming. Biggest things to watch for IMO:

Make sure the posts are level
Make sure post are precisely 8' apart
Buy the straightest lumber you can find
Use Screws
Run string along the top when you hang your vertical boards so they are all even and follow a set path.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
I'm torn between trying to build my own and just having a chain-link installed.

Keep us posted on your results.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Chain link looks cheap. It's fine out back but do not make it front facing. Curb appeal/resale.

If you ensure your posts are set straight and even the rest of it works out a lot easier. I usually set the posts and then screw two 2x2's to it (one at 12:00 and one at 3:00) and then screw the end to wood spikes set in the ground. I do this once I have the post level all the way around. This way the post wont move while the concrete sets. Also set some pea gravel in first, set the post, bit more pea gravel and then concrete. Depending on the moisture, I've been able to poor the concrete in, fill with water and then mix in the hole itself.

Here's a good artile on setting wood posts.

http://www.prowellwoodworks.com/gate/postholes.htm

Family Handyman has some good fence articles.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/search?q=fence

I actually built a variation on this one several years ago (just front facing). Goes over the posts, etc. Really good article.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-P...es/construct-a-custom-fence-and-gate/View-All

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
I'm torn between trying to build my own and just having a chain-link installed.

Keep us posted on your results.

Don't have a chain-link fence installed. You can do it yourself, literally by yourself. Rent an auger to dig the holes, trust me it is worth the 50-60 bucks, set your posts then the most important part is getting the fence tight. You can tie the fence to a lawn mower using tow straps(we used 4) once you get the fence pulled tight and against your post just use the wire tie things to tie the fence to the post then install your top post and your done. It really is easy and can be done in a few hours unless you cement the poles in the ground. You will also save a bunch.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back