Flaming River Ultra Clearance Shaft Kit?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Nobody?

Does anyone know what the stock shaft diameter is at least?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have 1 3/4 long tubes and the stock shaft isnt a problem. I believe it is smaller square tubing, it's not very big around.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1 7/8 inch headers and I needed the flaming river shaft and had to dimple.

20170112_160654 (Small) (2).jpg 20170131_093838_resized.jpg 20170131_093940_resized.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That looks like the stock shaft?

Top pic is the stock shaft and it wasn't gonna hack it even a little. Would have really had to put the dimple hurt on to make it work. Had frame rail issue on other side, so had to make it work on steering shaft side.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the Flaming river vs stock shaft pic comparing the two?

Flaming River is 3/4" Diameter DD. I tried measuring mine while it's still on the car but due to tight spaces couldn't get a good measument, nor did my measure caliper really fit but I got somewhere of .901" or 23mm.

travelers

Reaction score
I have 1 7/8" on my '11 and don't have any problems. Granted it a coyote. Have you tried to loosen the column mount and tweaking it a little at the floor and upper mount? Who's headers are they.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
They are pypes copy ebay specials. They don't touch as they sit, only when turning hard right. Don't want to do the stiffer mounts as I hate the NVH that comes with them.

Already shifted over as much as I could.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
They are pypes copy ebay specials. They don't touch as they sit, only when turning hard right. Don't want to do the stiffer mounts as I hate the NVH that comes with them.

Already shifted over as much as I could.

I used steeda HD eng mounts, and also used the 1/4" drop option, and my 1 5/8" clear the oem steering shaft just fine on my 2010. Steeda provided 2 sets of mounts for the 05-10 kits. Choice of red + red on each side.... or a red + black on each side. The blacks have a stiffer durometer than the reds. I used the red+ black combo on each side, recommended for higher hp applications. The GT-500 kits only came one way, 2 x blacks on each side.

No increase in NVH. Well there was a tiny bit, just faintly perceptible, (stereo off, AC off etc).. right at 650 rpm, and even then it was only in an extreme narrow rpm range, from aprx 625-670 rpm. At the time, the 2010 auto idled at 600 rpm, when in drive, and foot on brake, stopped. Idle has since been increased to 750 rpm, so can't hear it anymore.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Got the shaft today, the shaft doesn’t look as nice as it does in the pictures from their site.

dbd8eae1aeea876a04498951addc8151.jpg

And their box has a big warning to read instructions before installing but no instructions came in the box lol

Not sure if it’s the 303 SS they say it is either. Tested it with a magnet and it’s highly magnetic.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Got the shaft today, the shaft doesn’t look as nice as it does in the pictures from their site.

dbd8eae1aeea876a04498951addc8151.jpg

And their box has a big warning to read instructions before installing but no instructions came in the box lol

Not sure if it’s the 303 SS they say it is either. Tested it with a magnet and it’s highly magnetic.

The ends in the above pix look like 303 SS. The main shaft in the middle does not look like SS. Magnets don't stick to 303 SS. What is the diam of the main shaft on the new one..vs oem shaft ?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
My magnet stuck to both the ujoints and shaft.

Flaming River Shaft measure .75”

OEM shaft measures around .92-.93 (was hard to get the digital caliper from the top while still on the car)

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I called them up this morning and although the guy on the phone didn't sound too sure said the U-Joints were Aerospace Billet (don't know what that means???) and the shaft was just regular steel. Meaning it will look horrible after couple month with surface rust.

For $360 pcs it sure isn't as nice quality as I thought it would be. This goes back to another thread of you get what you pay for and this was a perfect example of that statement just not being true anymore these days.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I ended up returning it. Just not worth the price for the type of metal they used.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Looking to just piece together my own shaft kit using 303/304 Stainless Steel parts now and it should be considerably cheaper.

Just want to know that what the size is to connect to the factory steering column at the firewall?

Is it a 1" DD?

And the Power Steering rack I believe it's a Pyramid Shaft. Can anyone confirm this?

Unfortunately I forgot to measure the part before sending it back.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
316 SS is marine grade. I have never used it or seen it, but it's always touted as being one step above 303, at least for harsh environments.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back