Front Crankshaft Seal differences

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I developed a small leak from the front Crankshaft Seal. Although when I was swapping out the Harmonic Balancer I put a new one in from National, I'm gonna have to do it again. FML.

I'll be using Fel-Pro this time and hope for better results.

I did notice there are two designs. One has a lip and one sits flush with the timing cover.

Is it just a wrong pic on there websites?

National/Fel-Pro with Lip:
8ce31ff0153a24c3474709c04c3a0a9d.jpg

Mahle/Victor:
1eb9d6202c9e8dafec4c4d5b39795965.jpg

46addict

Reaction score
From what BruceH has said in other threads, the National brand is the same as Fel Pro. Might want to try the Mahle or Timken if that is the case.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I think mine had a lip on it. Mine was a Ford part. Why is it leaking again? Any issues putting it in?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I think mine had a lip on it. Mine was a Ford part. Why is it leaking again? Any issues putting it in?

I'm not sure exactly. But I kept getting oil on the outside of the oil filter, my AC compressor and the bottom of my Paxton intercooler pipes.

Also the bottom of the pan kept getting a thin coat of it as well.

I used some uv dye and it looks like it's leaking from the front seal and the Harmonic Balancer is flinging it. Then as I drive the rest is going to the back and gets collected by the trnasmission flex plate.

At first I was worried it was my rear main but thanks to the uv dye I can see where it's coming from.

So either my HB is not fully seated or my seal is defective.

HB is an Innovator West 10% OD and it has been torqued down to spec so has to be seated all the way.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW I had steeda udp's on my car for a few months before I had to take them off to put on a procharger. I did notice a small leak from the front crank seal when I put the original balancer back on. Once I did that, the leak stopped. Never did check, but maybe something about the sealing surface of the HB's is different?

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the heavy duty balancer the seal will be a little different than the stock one. You can call Innovators West if you want too and ask them which one they recommend. When I got my balancer it came with a new seal.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If you have the heavy duty balancer the seal will be a little different than the stock one. You can call Innovators West if you want too and ask them which one they recommend. When I got my balancer it came with a new seal.

Do you happen to know the Ford part number for the larger seal? I used to have it and cant find it now.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I use a piece of flat 1/4" aluminum. I have only done it with the cover off though.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
With the cover on the car I use a large socket, think it was a 34-36mm one.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Stock block? If not be aware of a mismatch between the 3v front cover and any block that isn't a 3L2E.

I chased a small drip on a 1L block for over a year. It was a combination of the mismatch and a National rear seal. My symptoms were exactly the same as you describe.

Good luck, hopefully you didn't use a National rear seal or if you did hope it isn't also leaking.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The National and Felid-Pro seals are known for leaking. Fel-Pro has a revised seal sold along side their standard style, but I prefer the Ford seals.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have have it but if you call IW I'm sure they would take care of you or just sell you one.

I just saw your request this morning and my invoice from my purchase odd long gone...good luck!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back