Fun With Belts and Thrump_rrr tensioner

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some of you may know that I have been having problems shredding and snapping belts for a couple of months now, most probably don't but I have. Well between yesterday and today my buddy Mike and I got to the bottom of the problem.

First problem was that while installing my Thrump_rrr tensioner and belt wrap pulley I thought I stripped the bolt hole. Well in fact I only stripped the first 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the bolt hole. We fixed this by using a bolt that was about 1/2 inch longer and that seems to hold to problem. After putting everything back together though we revved the engine and the belt floated and ran up over the lip of the S/C pulley and got caught between the edge of the S/C pulley and the belt wrap pulley. I still have my problem.

Now my buddy was thinking that the tensioner wasn't giving enough tension as he could see it traveling up and down to its limits both ways. We checked it with a torq ratchet and its giving between 150 to 160 foot pounds of torq, I don't know if that is wright or not but it seems like it would be plenty.
At that point I got the bright idea that the belt may be too long as when the engine is at rest the Tensioner is about at its fully relaxed position. So I went to the parts stores but none had any belts that were just an 1" shorter, I'm currently using a Gates K081102 Green Stripe which is 110 & 3/4" long. Gates tech center is closed today so I couldn't see about ordering one today.
Well I still have my never yet used 3.4" S/C pulley so we put that one on in place of the 2.95" pulley. This seems to have corrected the problem. I beat on the engine, power shifter and what not and then I let Mike drive and he beat it even worse and the belt held up. The belt seems to still be floating slightly as the edges are showing signs of wear but it isn't throwing the belt or shredding it anymore. This leads me to believe that with the 2.95" pulley I probably need a 8 rib belt that is about 110 & 1/4" long. Anyone have any idea if they make a belt in the length of close to it? I'm going to research the Gates website and see. I'm also going to see if they have those green belts in a size I can use.
Anyway, this ended up being long and I'm sure it has made some of you laugh at my ignorance, but at least I'm learning.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had no idea you were running a 2.95" pulley since your sig says 3.6".

With my 3.2" and a 100mm idler next to the power steering pump to give the crank a little more belt wrap and a 90mm on the tensioner I was running a K081092. I'm now running a K081088 with a 76mm idler on the tensioner.

You definitely have more than enough torque on that tensioner spring. PS I'd doublecheck it because it sounds a little too high. PM me on that if you like.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had no idea you were running a 2.95" pulley since your sig says 3.6".

With my 3.2" and a 100mm idler next to the power steering pump to give the crank a little more belt wrap and a 90mm on the tensioner I was running a K081092. I'm now running a K081088 with a 76mm idler on the tensioner.

You definitely have more than enough torque on that tensioner spring. PS I'd doublecheck it because it sounds a little too high. PM me on that if you like.

I am running a K081102 which is 110 3/4 inches long and it seems to work pretty good with the 2.95 pulley. My sig is wrong as I keep having problems changing it so I pretty much quit trying. I'll send a PM though.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone understands, Pete's tensioner is the Bomb, and totally not the problem I was having, my problem was a belt length issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back