Fuse 16 to turn off Shaker 500 during stereo tuning?

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Mods, if you think this thread is better off somewhere else, feel free to move it. I stuck it in "pimpin'" since that seems to be the section for stereo related stuff.

2006 Ford Mustang GT. Originally Shaker 500 car, now with custom stereo but using 1 ohm Kicker door subs using Shaker 500 amp etc (with subsonic filters - door subs work great! :2cents: ).

Yeah, I searched. I've seen references in here saying it is fuse 16 or another said fuse 14 that I might remove to cut power to the Shaker 500 amp. Those references were for power drain problems and NOT for stereo tuning, though.

Because of conflicting info, I checked 2006 Premium Stereo wiring diagram and that says it is in fact under hood fuse 16 - removal of which should cut B+ to the Shaker 500 amp sections. Fine. Easily done.

What I'd like to do:

With everything first turned off, I would like to pull fuse 16 as a quick and easy way to turn off the shaker amp so I can then switch back on to analyze (with RTA - real time analyzer) the sound output from the other amps I've added and other channels in isolation.

My questions are these:

Is pulling fuse 16 (in the manner described above) a safe way to turn off the shaker amp so I can then tune/analyze other channels without S500 sound interfering? Or is feeding preamp level audio signal to the Shaker amp after the power fuse has been removed likely to damage the Shaker 500 amp?

I'm thinking it probably won't cause any harm, but I've seen enough freaky Shaker 500 sound failures in here to be jumpy about it.

I wouldn't want to use a lazy measure for tuning ease and have it damage the amp.

I can and have turned the Alpine HU's sub volume down to zero, but in normal operation, that still leaves considerable sound coming from the Shaker amp & door subs - meaning there is still considerable signal going TO the S500 amp. IOW, that level control appears to be boost only (not cut) and isn't intended to cut the sub volume all the way off. I wish it were; that would be the easiest/safest answer.

Thanks!

Micke

Last edited:
Back