Groaning/clunking sound when I turn

Bpbaird75

Reaction score
I am new to the ford performance world. I recently purchased a 08 Gt 5 speed. When the car gets up to operating temperature, it will make a groaning/clunking sound while I turn. What is going on ! I’m thinking drive shat.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Drive shaft? can you explain a little more why you are thinking drive shaft? From the rest of your description I would think the problem would be steering related; i.e. strut mounts.

how many miles are on this beast?

Bpbaird75

Reaction score
Not sure what it is. I hear the drive shafts in these cars are two piece and garbage.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what it is. I hear the drive shafts in these cars are two piece and garbage.

That would have nothing to do with clunking while turning. Are there any suspension mods? Have you jacked up the front end and checked for simple things like wheel bearing or worn out tie rod?

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Are you moving while turning and hear it. Does it make the sound while sitting still and turning? If you are moving, wheels turned all the way, at full lock, and hear that noise from behind you, it could be the rear end too. It doesnt hurt to do a gear oil change with a car that old despite the mileage.

If the noise is up front only with the situation i explained, brandon08gt has the right idea.

Bpbaird75

Reaction score
It doesn’t make the noise at idle or driving straight. It only makes it when turning. I was told to change gear oil to a ford oil. It’s a 5 speed.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn’t make the noise at idle or driving straight. It only makes it when turning. I was told to change gear oil to a ford oil. It’s a 5 speed.
You are refering to rear end gear oil, right? Yea, i used royal purple in mine. It comes with the friction modifier in it. Ford stuff is good to from what i read. Just make sure friction modifier is in it or you add it as recommended.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Go do a burnout, if there is one mark it's the clutch pack. Changing oil and adding friction modifier may give you a little more time but is only prolonging the inevitable. The clutch packs in the rear end are worn out. How many miles?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back