GT 500 muffler install help

Slayer7391

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of gt 500 mufflers for my 2011 gt, and I was able to remove one of the mufflers only by removing the hanger bracket. Ive tried to install the muffler, and there is no way I can get so I can install the bracket with the mufflers on.

If anyone has done this before, can you explain the way or trick of putting the mufflers back on.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of gt 500 mufflers for my 2011 gt, and I was able to remove one of the mufflers only by removing the hanger bracket. Ive tried to install the muffler, and there is no way I can get so I can install the bracket with the mufflers on.

If anyone has done this before, can you explain the way or trick of putting the mufflers back on.

loosen your mid pipe, theres 4 15mm bolts holding it in place. It will let you wiggle the over the axle pipes some for clearance.

Also unbolt the driver side panhard brace, it will give you some clearance.

JPat

Reaction score
Support the car on jackstands and then use your jack to push up on your pipe behind resonator (each side individually). The jack will push the pipe up to the floor board allowing you the room to slide the muffler out of the hanger. This along with unbolting the 2 drivers side bolts holding the above mentioned panhard brace. You will have to loosen the bolt on the other side of the brace (one turn) and it will allow you to drop the driver side of the brace to the ground. That and the jack trick should help you. I did not loosen the midpipe at all and installed mine relatively easy.

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
What Jpat said. + Took a little elbow grease too with me though. You may have to yank & snatch the hell out of it ( We did on mine). It won't hurt a thing.

cbrtrx

forum member
Reaction score
I just jacked up the mid pipe like described. With just a little wiggling it went right in. I did not have to remove or loosen any bolts other then the clamp holding the muffler on.

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are doing it the hard way.

Jack up and safely support the rear of the car
Loosen clamp bolt from mufflers to pipes
Pop rear rubber hanger off of muffler
Push muffler toward the rear of the car (some lube on the rubber hangers may be necessary), exposing the seemingly impossible to reach bracket bolts that are above the mufflers
Remove the bracket bolts and drop the mufflers
Remove brackets from mufflers and install on new mufflers

Reverse process to install new mufflers.

It's a 20 minute job, tops. No need to loosen the panhard bar or midpipes (unless the pipes don't line up, then you might have to loosen the mids to square things).

BTW, I love my GT500 mufflers. Some may not find them loud enough but for me they are the perfect combo of sound and volume without PO'ing the neighbors or attracting the police.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are doing it the hard way.

Jack up and safely support the rear of the car
Loosen clamp bolt from mufflers to pipes
Pop rear rubber hanger off of muffler
Push muffler toward the rear of the car (some lube on the rubber hangers may be necessary), exposing the seemingly impossible to reach bracket bolts that are above the mufflers
Remove the bracket bolts and drop the mufflers
Remove brackets from mufflers and install on new mufflers

Reverse process to install new mufflers.

It's a 20 minute job, tops. No need to loosen the panhard bar or midpipes (unless the pipes don't line up, then you might have to loosen the mids to square things).

BTW, I love my GT500 mufflers. Some may not find them loud enough but for me they are the perfect combo of sound and volume without PO'ing the neighbors or attracting the police.

This is how I did mine. Did touch anything but the mufflers. Also, I agree on the sound. When I first started the car I thought it was gonna be too loud. Sounded perfect with out the being too loud.

Slayer7391

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, and support. I went at again yesterday and got them installed with the help of a friend. They do sound bad ass. On the way is an X pipe from BBR. Any thoughts on what the sound should be like?

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Removed and installed mine with only removing the muffler clamps. Whole job in the driveway was a half hour tops. Only slight wiggling got them out and in. Couldnt be easier. No need for any bracket removal or messing with the midpipe.

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
I never had to jack up my 05 to change the mufflers. What's different about the 11?

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
I never had to jack up my 05 to change the mufflers. What's different about the 11?
The 05s had a different mounting way as far as the brackets/mounts go. The 11+ have 2 hangers in the rear instead of the 1 like the previous years. That one bolt that is on "top" of the muffler can be a PITA if you don't slide the muffler out of the way some

Bmr4life

2005 GT
Reaction score
The 05s had a different mounting way as far as the brackets/mounts go. The 11+ have 2 hangers in the rear instead of the 1 like the previous years. That one bolt that is on "top" of the muffler can be a PITA if you don't slide the muffler out of the way some

Thanks, that would explain it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back