GT500 Mount Reversal

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Getting ready to install Steeda sports( 1"drop),Koni STR's,and Gt500 mounts on the front this weekend. Already did the rear.1.25 with PHB last weekend. noticeable improvement on test drive

My question is it a big deal if i don't reverse the mounts(arrow towards the engine) right now? Hpde Track event coming up in a few weeks and I thought the little more neg camber would help me out here. could always flip it when I get back home and reset the toe....unless it's not worth the trouble..

I read some threads on this but the mount reversal was more specific to 1.5 and greater drops.

Thanks

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Back when I was on your typical 1.5 inch drop springs I ruined a set of tires inside of one oil change interval because of the excessive camber before i learned about reversing the mounts.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've had mine arrows-out for about 5 years and my only real tire wear issue is on the rear, lol.

Seriously, I only get minor cupping on the front and my camber is at about -1.7

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Back when I was on your typical 1.5 inch drop springs I ruined a set of tires inside of one oil change interval because of the excessive camber before i learned about reversing the mounts.
Chances are it mostly wasn't the camber that ate your tires, but the toe that also changed. I just checked my car a couple of days ago and it's still at -1.9° ±0.05° on both sides, and the difference in tread depth, inside tread grooves vs outsides, is not measurable with the usual tread depth gauge that's graduated in 1/32nds of an inch.

Norm

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

No. I run -1.8 camber all freaking day without issues.

Chances are it mostly wasn't the camber that ate your tires, but the toe that also changed. I just checked my car a couple of days ago and it's still at -1.9° ±0.05° on both sides, and the difference in tread depth, inside tread grooves vs outsides, is not measurable with the usual tread depth gauge that's graduated in 1/32nds of an inch.

Norm

This. Your toe setting was FUBAR.

OP, you don't need to flip the mounts. You'll have a bit of extra negative camber, which really won't affect tire wear that much and will give you a bit more grip on corners.

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
Ok then... no flipping. thanks for the input

Will report back with my readings after an alignment check.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

Norm
This makes a lot of sense, I believe I had the car realigned after reversing the mounts so I'm not certain that the mount reversal was the main reason my tires stopped wearing.

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
OK. I installed all my stuff and took it down the street for computerized alignment. numbers as follows:
I left the arrows on the mount pointing out

Camber:
front Left...-1.5
front right...-1.8

Caster:
L) 7.5
R) 7.1

Toe before L) 0.01
after L)-0.02

before R) 0.00
after R) 0.01

appears I didn't need to touch it. oh well 79 bucks got me some piece of mind and some numbers to start with.

Took for a ride around some clover leafs this afternoon
Wow!..Major improvement in handling ...Love it. no more mush mobile

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back