GT500 owners...07-09 v 11+ question

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by redfirepearlgt, Apr 14, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

1. NjsGT

NjsGT Back in the game....

Yes, early 08’s had the garbage clutch in it, I believe 09’s weren’t affected. Mine had the new design clutch factory. Regardless even the better clutch won’t last long if you shoot the car over 600whp. Mine melted together after 638whp for about a year lol. But for the op, if he likes the body style of the 07-09, it’s the best bang for your buck.

2. redfirepearlgt

redfirepearlgt forum member

The good news is that after checking on the insurance to delete the 14 and replace with a 20K mile 07 GT500 the deductible would only go up $35 a year with identical coverage. That makes this a lot more plausible. Hopefully not much difference between an 07 to 09.

3. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member

bone stock yes. as discussed above, once modded, then nope

do you drive the car daily? if not and have another car, look into specialty insurance, Hargerty or Grundy. I pay $396 a year for full coverage, agreed value at $42,000, IIRC 500/300 coverage, that's with Grundy.

4. redfirepearlgt

Thanks for the tip. I do like to get mine out on a dry, mild winter's day if the sun is shining and there is no salt residue on the road. I will look into this however. May be beneficial. Thanks.

5. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member

that's fine, you can drive it a lot, just can't be a daily.

6. redfirepearlgt

perfect then. I'll get a quote.

7. 702GT

702GT S197 Fanatic

Will have to write that insurance down. The last 2 years I owned my '08 GT I only drove it about 6-8k/mi per year. Not for lack of trying, I just wasn't home enough. Even after declaring milage to the insurance they only gave me a break of about 10% and had to declare milage every year. $400/yr would have saved me about $800/yr on insurance (I think the policy was 150/50 and cost me $1100/yr). The year I sold it I dropped to liability and still only save another $300/yr or so. Insurance is criminal in Vegas. All the damn sue-happy folks and crooked lawyers though.

8. redfirepearlgt

Lived in San Diego 7 years during my 20's I have felt your pain.

9. redfirepearlgt

Hagerty didn't do me any favors. Just got a quote. It was worth a try. NO tickets or accidents in over 10 years for either of us. I will have to see what Grundy offers.

10. KRS

KRS Junior Member

Just an opinion and hopefully no one is offended.

The 11/12 cars with the SVT Performance Package are the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

The PP gives you 3.73 gears, staggered 19/20 rims (the nicest stock rim that came on these cars in my opinion), a slightly lowered and stiffer suspension than the non-PP cars, and a gurney flap on the rear spoiler.

In 11/12 you also get wide band O2 sensors, the aluminum block, electric power steering, 2.75 exhaust, a better heat exchanger, and a hp bump. The interior is also a bit nicer than the previous models.

I have an 11 so I am a bit biased, my son has driven a 07 and 11 back to back and in his opinion there was no comparison

On looks alone or if I were to get a SuperSnake I’d get a 07-09, they just look cool.

The 10 and up have a more street friendly clutch. The 07-09 came with a ceramic clutch disc and they don’t hold up well to stop and go driving.

redfirepearlgt likes this.
  11. redfirepearlgt

^^ The kind of 411 I was wanting to hear. Appreciate the input.

Sorry but just not a fan of the back end on 10-12 model mustang anything. The goodies are nice, but I'd sooner stick with my 14 auto if I can't find an 07-09 or fall into a steal on a 13/14 GT500. Nothing I buy stays stock for long anyway. So a clutch upgrade would soon follow some power improvements and that balancer update (if its an 07). The 11-12 looks great in the front though. Love that aggressive front end.

Gabe likes this.
  12. Aerofinz

Aerofinz Junior Member

I recently found the same. For some odd reason Hagerty was very high, over 3 times higher than Grundy!

Grundy, for me in Texas with $25K replacement (no deducts, highest liability coverage's offered, etc.) is exactly $350 per year.

13. redfirepearlgt

I'll check Grundy as well.

14. 702GT

702GT S197 Fanatic

My opinion is bias as to defining bang for the buck. I factor in parts costs with my labor. I don't mind wrenching at all. The bang for the buck starts with the base platform. The GT500 of any year is a strong base to start with. But there can be a $10k difference or more through the years. The '11-'14 particularly, and rightly so. They do offer improvements, features, and power the older Cobra's lack. However, if I settled on a '07-'09 in range of ~$25k I wouldn't mind at all spending another $5k or so on upgrades to dial it in (presuming it's stock in the first place). Although, I'll likely be aiming for a '10-'12. I like the interior and body, just a bit more than the '07-'09.