H&R Race coils touch together ?

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe a newbie question, but I'm curious to know if this normal :

563de778a5f24567b44b460ddc80de12.jpg

Is spring rate enought for my usage ? I do track them and wondering if the coils should touch together under hard cornering ?

Shocks are Koni Sport, 2 turns front and 1 turn rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Correct me, but I think it's the progressive spring design causing this ?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Normal for a progressive type spring. Some manufacturers place a rubber sleeve on the smaller spaced coils to prevent the metal to metal contact.

Attachments

• Springs.jpg
    Springs.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Aren't the H&R Race springs linear rate and not progressive?

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
The spring in the OP's photo has coils that progressively get farther apart.
Straight rate or linear springs have equal spacing between coils.

That's what I thought too.

Anyway, the car run really great on track, no clunking noise or whatever... Handling is awesome...

I was wondering if coils with that spring rate was supposed to touch together. I suppose is it normal then.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
The spring in the OP's photo has coils that progressively get farther apart.
Straight rate or linear springs have equal spacing between coils.

That has zero effect on what kind of spring rates they are. Factory rear springs for example...equally spaced coils but obviously are progressive rate.

Thank god...I have these springs on my car. Good to know I'm not losing it haha.

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for this info.

Hopefully I have nothing to worry about.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Aren't the H&R Race springs linear rate and not progressive?
Everything I've ever been able to find indicates that the H&R's are not linear, and that they probably aren't true progressives either.

That leaves a dual-rate design if you look at the spring sitting on the bench at its free length. Basically, the closely spaced coils are intended to close up at some point so that after that you operate at their high rate. IOW, the closely spaced coils are supposed to contact each other.

The soft rate essentially duplicates the function of a 'tender spring' in "main spring + tender spring" coilover systems. Just that it's all in one spring instead of two separate pieces.

The 'working rate', which is really what you're interested in anyway, is the 'firm' rate and should be essentially linear over at least some of the travel that your driving puts it to (at least on the 'compression' side of suspension movement). You may or may not get the soft rate involved (by extending the suspension far enough to open up the closely spaced coils).

Incidentally, any rubber sleeving intended to prevent metal to metal contact and scuffing actually ends up slightly softening the working rate of the spring. The flip side is that it starts the higher rate a little sooner than would happen with the same spring if the sleeve wasn't present.

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back