Hard wired/installed non portable generator

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Greg, you can set the system to only need one transfer switch. When I did the new generator I just added a second panel, instead of trying to rewire everything. Both panels are powered from the single transfer switch, the original panel is just wired into the new panel. This would save you the cost of a second transfer switch.

I would agree. No need for a second transfer switch unless you are planning on paralleling to the utility which most will not allow anyway. Most jurisdictions will also require disconnection from the utility in the event of a utility outage.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, having a generator hooked into the main lines when a lineman goes to work on it, is a bad idea

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Generac 22kW generator, propane powered. When we built the house we knew we were going to get a generator, so we purposely put in two breaker panels. One panel has everything that we want working instantly when the generator kicks in. The other panel as the stuff that is brought back on line progressively (e.g. you DON't want both of your AC units firing up at the same time along with everything else getting power in your house while the generator is kicking in) .I have no idea how the set it up to do what it does. But that is what it does. Bought it through Lowe's. They sent the order to Generac. And Generac contacted their local guys to do the install.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow...wow...welcome back! Brought back on old thread by one of the original crew!

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Generac 22kW generator, propane powered. When we built the house we knew we were going to get a generator, so we purposely put in two breaker panels. One panel has everything that we want working instantly when the generator kicks in. The other panel as the stuff that is brought back on line progressively (e.g. you DON't want both of your AC units firing up at the same time along with everything else getting power in your house while the generator is kicking in) .I have no idea how the set it up to do what it does. But that is what it does. Bought it through Lowe's. They sent the order to Generac. And Generac contacted their local guys to do the install.

We have had our Generac (22) for a few years now and its been great. I have it set to kick on once a week. Its been great to have as we have lost power a handfull of times. I told my wife when she loses power and im not home (work out of state for two weeks) that she doesn't need to run the oven and the dryer at the same time. Even though it will handle it. One instance she lost power with her parents at the house. My wife turned everything off and then called me. I said you can go about normal activities. Just be mindful. No sense in burning more gas than we need to.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Home Depot sells Generac. They installed ours as well. Its come in handy a few times. A transfer switch is necessary imo.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I was in the market I found you could save a couple thousand by buying the Genarac and contracting the gas/electrician yourself.

JimC

Reaction score
We had a Generac on our house in Fort Gratiot, MI. We used to lose power every time it rained and my wife got tired of it. There were 3 of us in the subdivision with whole house generators. Power would go out, and within seconds we were up an running. Barely noticed the change and we could do everything as if we were still on the grid.

It was worth the cost to us and very reliable. We lost power for several days and it was no problem for us.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have it set to kick on once a week.
Mine does that too. Sort of a maintenance run. Comes on every Wendesday at noon and runs for 10~15 minutes then shuts down.

And by the way. I do my own yearly maintenance to it. You can buy the genuine Generac yearly maintenance kit which is spark plugs, oil filter, and air filter for for $21.50, and the genuine Generac (ridiculously fucking over priced) synthetic oil for $14.77 a quart on Amazon. I spoke with the dealer rep and he said as long as you used genuine parts, and could show receipts for those parts, you could do the maintenance yourself and it not fuck with your warranty.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
You should run them as a test on a regular basis. Once a week might be a bit much but at least once a month. It helps keep them exercised and will catch any problems before you need it.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
Mine does that too. Sort of a maintenance run. Comes on every Wendesday at noon and runs for 10~15 minutes then shuts down.

And by the way. I do my own yearly maintenance to it. You can buy the genuine Generac yearly maintenance kit which is spark plugs, oil filter, and air filter for for $21.50, and the genuine Generac (ridiculously fucking over priced) synthetic oil for $14.77 a quart on Amazon. I spoke with the dealer rep and he said as long as you used genuine parts, and could show receipts for those parts, you could do the maintenance yourself and it not fuck with your warranty.

I have done that as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back