Head unit wiring

Nick93

Reaction score
Hey all. If this is in the wrong section or has been covered somewhere please let me know. I am installing a touch screen radio in my 06 GT with the factory shaker 500 system and i am going to be installing the metra afdi-5v 12 volt to 5 volt converter but I am confused on how to wire it.. So according to this wiring diagram am I supposed to splice the two wires together for the subwoofer adapter and then wire both of them to the blue/red wire on the 12v to 5v converter ?I am pretty capable of reading wire diagrams and wiring in general but this just has me confused. Thanks for any input!
Screenshot_20180316-145131.png

Dei2303

Reaction score
Why do you need to get a converter? Every system I have installed (non had stock subwoofers or were a mustang) never needed it.

Nick93

Reaction score
Why do you need to get a converter? Every system I have installed (non had stock subwoofers or were a mustang) never needed it.

The factory amp that comes with the shaker 500 system runs off a 5v remote wire but aftermarket radios put out 12v so if you don't use a 12v to 5v converter the speakers will pop when you first switch the ignition on

Dei2303

Reaction score
Does your radio harness your using not come with the remote wire? I know the one i have sitting in the garage does and im pretty sure its 5. I still have to get the harness for mine but that would be wierd for the harness to not come with a remote wire trigger. They are usually set up for amps. Look at the stereo directions to find out about the supplied harness the company gave you

Nick93

Reaction score
Does your radio harness your using not come with the remote wire? I know the one i have sitting in the garage does and im pretty sure its 5. I still have to get the harness for mine but that would be wierd for the harness to not come with a remote wire trigger. They are usually set up for amps. Look at the stereo directions to find out about the supplied harness the company gave you

Yes it does. But this is why I'm confused. The main harness from the receiver has 1 blue / white wire (power control wire) [I'm assuming power control wire means remote wire?] But then I also have an adapter with rca's which you plug into the subwoofer preout and that also has two blue / white wires (one subwoofer turn on wire and woofer turn on wire). So in total I have 3 blue / white remote wires. So am I just wiring all 3 of them to the single remote wire at the cars harness adapter?

Nick93

Reaction score
YouTube is your friend.
I have searched youtube and google. Nothing on how to wire an aftermarket head unit adapter with a 12 to 5v step down in an s197 mustang with a shaker 500 sound system. Thanks for that advice

Dei2303

Reaction score
What brand and model head unit do you have? Did the rca adapter come with the radio or the adapter harness for your mustang?

Dei2303

Reaction score
I googled this
does the shaker 500 need a 5v turn on
And it came up with YouTube videos on how to wire it. If you have the brand of head unit I believe you do, it is a 12 volt output. But if you don’t have a Kenwood I would call the manufacture. This seems to be a Amplified Ford setup which is probably why I haven’t seen it. If you are good at soldering I would watch the amp lab video and also solder all the connections you make. I am OCD about my wiring so that’s my preferred method.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at this with some stereo installation experience, Crutchfield is wanting you to tie the ANTENNA POWER (blue) wire to the blue/white remote wire on the 12-5vdc converter. This will be your trigger to turn on the subs using the 5vdc. The blue/red wire is the 5vdc trigger that is then tied to both of the blue/white wires which triggers on the sub amplifers using the 5vdc. The black wire on the 12-5vdc converter goes to chassis ground.The Ford trigger for the shaker subs are 5vdc trigger apparently or this step down converter would not be needed. That is the only reason for it.

Every aftermarket system I have ever installed uses 12vdc trigger top turn on the amplifiers. This trigger wire off of 95% of receivers in the aftermarket world is called ANTENNA POWER, because back in the crazy days of early stereo installation guys only had power boosters which turned in separate. The ANTENNA POWER was to operate a retractable power antenna if the car had one. Doing a full aftermarket system with amps you would not need this 12-5vdc converter. You would simply tie the ANTENNA POWER wire from the receiver to the REMOTE wire on the amplifier and this would turn the amplifier on when the radio was turned on.

I support soldering and heat shrinking the connections as well.

Call Crutchfield in the morning to verify my directions but I am pretty confident this is what you need to do. Crutchfield is awesome with tech support and service. I used to use them for tech support and they would help even though I may not have bought the unit I was installing from them. Great people all around.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
BZEhAqI.png

This is how I see it working. Again verify this with Crutchfield but I am confident this is what they want you to achieve.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back