Headers on my kid hauler

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting the long tub headers on the truck. It was a pain in the DICK!! Had I know it was going to be like that I would have just sold the damn things. :insane: anyways they are on and made almost no difference in sound but I did pick up some MPGS which was really the point of them. Also it does feel like I pick up little bit of low end torque. When I bought the truck the guy had them. IMO they are not worth the $823. Maybe in a few months I'll change my mind. They are Thorley long tube tri-y with Y-pipe and ceramic coated.

Truck now has performance wise: 4:10s, long tubes into full K&N exhaust, throttle body spacer, and it's chipped.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Four hundred sixty cubic inches of anger? ANY increase in mpg's on a 460 is an improvement.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting the long tub headers on the truck. It was a pain in the DICK!! Had I know it was going to be like that I would have just sold the damn things. :insane: anyways they are on and made almost no difference in sound but I did pick up some MPGS which was really the point of them. Also it does feel like I pick up little bit of low end torque. When I bought the truck the guy had them. IMO they are not worth the $823. Maybe in a few months I'll change my mind. They are Thorley long tube tri-y with Y-pipe and ceramic coated.

Truck now has performance wise: 4:10s, long tubes into full K&N exhaust, throttle body spacer, and it's chipped.

If you really want to have fun, Do a set on a Raptor. Nuff said!

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ceramic coating looks incredible. I know what you mean on that feeling. You wonder if it was worth it, but give it time. Let that pride sink in......enjoy it.

Rm

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
What is that tab on the header tube for (4th pic down)?

If you look above you can see a tab for the Dip Stick Tube. It is most likely for that to attach

I thought it was for the dip stick tube but I sure couldn't get them to line up. lol

Four hundred sixty cubic inches of anger? ANY increase in mpg's on a 460 is an improvement.

They are gas eating behemoths for sure. lol

The ceramic coating looks incredible. I know what you mean on that feeling. You wonder if it was worth it, but give it time. Let that pride sink in......enjoy it.

Rm
:beerchug2:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are gas eating behemoths for sure. lol

But they will pull down a house. My father used to tow with one in the early 2000's before a diesel came back off lease that he bought. He said empty or loaded, flat land or in the mountains he got about 8-9 mpg's. LOL!!

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
At least they're a good brand of headers. Every little thing helps in the MPG department.

But they will pull down a house. My father used to tow with one in the early 2000's before a diesel came back off lease that he bought. He said empty or loaded, flat land or in the mountains he got about 8-9 mpg's. LOL!!

That sounds just like our 87 Chevy Dually with a 454 and TBI. Not even a tailwind would help that thing.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sounds just like our 87 Chevy Dually with a 454 and TBI. Not even a tailwind would help that thing.

Yeah the only thing that makes the 460 better on fuel is to trade it in on a diesel. My father went from 8-9 to 11-12 when he switched to a 2000 7.3 turbo diesel, which he still has and with only about 60,000 on it.

Still I like the 460's. My 5.4 gets the same mileage when towing.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score

Your father is not a lier... lol I was getting about 8.9mpg daily driving and most of the time I would get 9 to 9.5 hauling a car only because I wasn't hauling ass in it. lol The last fill up I got about 10.4mpg after the headers.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. Weren't you working on an old 60 somethin truck?

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
That was not the truck I was talking about....!! Come on man, wheres the 60's F100 with the IFS....

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. Weren't you working on an old 60 somethin truck?

That was not the truck I was talking about....!! Come on man, wheres the 60's F100 with the IFS....

Yeah it's down in the shop just getting dusty. I had a rough financial start to the year. lol that and having a baby girl has really slowed that project down. I was just thinking about it the other day though. I need to get down there and do something on it for sure. I'm trying to sell a few things right now to free up some room and cash. Any short bed chevy fans in here? lol

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's down in the shop just getting dusty. I had a rough financial start to the year. lol that and having a baby girl has really slowed that project down.

Yeah. Kids really put a hurt on time to tinker with projects. How does a tiny human consume so much time, money and space? Wouldn't trade my kids for anything, but damn they gobble up free time.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. Kids really put a hurt on time to tinker with projects. How does a tiny human consume so much time, money and space? Wouldn't trade my kids for anything, but damn they gobble up free time.

That is no joke. lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back