Heat warping/repair?

RoninGT

Reaction score
Hey guys. Nothing major but it bothers me. Please see pics as I have some plastic warping. It's still pliable but won't stay flat.
Repair seems doubtful. Replace? Not sure if easy

20240301_124633.jpg

20240305_084806.jpg

RoninGT

Reaction score
Looks to be plastic that surrounds the grill not bumper. Also just noticed, it looks better today (cold?) But still there

20240305_092024.jpg

JC SSP

Reaction score
Thank GOD not the front bumper!!

On the fox body rear bumper would warp. They sell an insert to make it tight.

This looks like an easy part’s replacement… grill or grill bezel.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thanks. I only see a complete grill for parts. Looks like a bezel but probably one unit. I'll look again today as it's warming up. I think it gets bad in the heat/sun then flattens in the cold. They make some nice grills. I guess OEM would be best but black would be cool as long as I keep original.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Lol. After calling Ford, they can't help me. Their system popped up a 800 Ford Racing number. Ford system popped up the Shelby Vegas number. I left a message. Something tells me I'm gonna just live with a little warp in my life. That or after market...

RoninGT

Reaction score
I left a message. Also it looks like the after market grill I like are for V6. The GT has the extra lights. I'll figure it out.
Thanks JC.

RoninGT

Reaction score
So Shelby said "no way to replace" as that was made a long time ago. To GriffX's idea, they mentioned try to back off the bolts and re tighten in case stress or torque is causing it. I'll look at how it is mounted. Looks like it heats up, expands and gets worse. Then it tries to lay back down as it cools. Probably eventually crack.

I did find a basic black grill on AM site that would work I bet. I could get the AM black grill and put a cobra on it. Then I would have a very valuable "one off" and a cobra would to add 10-20 hp right off the bat... (lol)

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
So Shelby said "no way to replace" as that was made a long time ago. To GriffX's idea, they mentioned try to back off the bolts and re tighten in case stress or torque is causing it. I'll look at how it is mounted. Looks like it heats up, expands and gets worse. Then it tries to lay back down as it cools. Probably eventually crack.

I did find a basic black grill on AM site that would work I bet. I could get the AM black grill and put a cobra on it. Then I would have a very valuable "one off" and a cobra would to add 10-20 hp right off the bat... (lol)
Ronin, I know of an NOS Shelby Gt grill assembly for sale on the SAI group but it’s not cheap. Other option is like you said, basic black grill assembly from AM. Could mount your Pony emblem to it…

Last edited:

RoninGT

Reaction score
Thanks Mac!. Good idea. If this gets worse over time and I have to replace it, I can get the black grill (looks like 134.00 bucks) and a Running Pony emblem (or a snake!) and call it a day.

I can push it down flat but its in the 40s and is not warping much. I think as it warms up this week I'll watch it and see if there is anything I can do. I hate to cut it but it's ugly when its at full "wave" form. I'll check the bolts etc. Probably gorilla glue is a bad idea (lol)

RoninGT

Reaction score
I sent ya a PM. Your observation may be true in that I have found nothing seems to be simple....

Samos3

Reaction score
Is that trim piece an actual Shelby part?

Heat expansion is causing it to buckle upwards as it gets hot. Nowhere to go but up between fixed points.

Sort of related...I noticed in the first pic that the reflections in the headlights make them look like snake eyes!

RoninGT

Reaction score
I have heard Shelby changed the surround they used in 08. Possibly due to this issue. I can't find a replacement surround for it listed anywhere so maybe it is a Shelby part? Looks like the replacement grills sold at AM are just grills. Maybe I can just remove it?

I have heard of NOS SGT parts but they are $$$.

I like that pic too. Between the stripes and the headlights, this car changes colors often in the sun.

RoninGT

Reaction score
Just opened garage door. Not too bad but it will get worse I suspect. Interesting to see if sunlight alone will warp it or running the car is the main factor.

Almost looks like I could just remove it ?

20240306_122123.jpg

RoninGT

Reaction score
Engine heat is what contributes the most.

New part at AM fits without a surround. That's the ticket.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back