Heating home (engineers welcome)

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I currently use Central Heat & Air for my home. I've been researching auxilary heating (boilers, forced air, etc.). I'm a huge DIY person and was looking at doing something myself. My idea is similar to that of a Heiss Heater (see link). They pretty much have a fire box encased in refractory concrete. Inside the concrete is ½” copper piping mazed all around. The heat from burning wood inside the fire box heats up the unit and in return the water. From there out it’s function is like that of any other boiler.

My idea is similar to that, but I would like to pour a cement retaining wall around the perimeter. I would run all my copper pipe around the unit and fill it with sand, up to where the bottom of the fire box would be. At that point I would pour my fire box from refractory concrete. Once cured, I would then run the rest of my copper pipe and fill with sand. I would probably add a small reserve box at the top of the unit with a pressure valve due to the water expansion and increased pressure with heat. I was thinking the unit would be around 516 gallon size (4’ x 3.5’ x 5’). comparable to traditional boilers with a 200 gallon firebox (2’3” x 3’ x 4’). What do you guys think of this idea? I’m going to make a unit either way, it’s just a matter of if I go for this or a traditional steel boiler. I really like this idea, as I would brick the unit when completed for a nice aesthetic finish. However I don’t want to go this route if function isn’t up to part.

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have to build it outside?

Do you have a basement?

If you had a nice cast iron furnace indoors it would radiate TONS of heat so no insulation required. You could even wrap copper pipe around the exhaust pipe to recover that heat as well. You could even add blowers to it. Just giving you more options.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have a basement, and not a huge fan of indoor wood stove anyway. Plus with the outdoor stove I can run water to a heat exchanger/blower in my garage and heat it too.

Jgibson

Reaction score
What do you have against central heat and air? What you posted above sounds like a huge pain in the butt and I really can't see it working near as efficiently as central heat

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Cost and for some reason it just feels better to me. During the winter my bill runs from $250-$300 a month, if not more on occasion. With the boiler I should run around $70-100 a month. Also like mentioned I can also run it to my garage as well.

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
How well insulated is your home? Working on sealing up air gaps and adding insulation can make a HUGE difference in your heating and cooling bills. I live in a 120+ year old home. It is 2 story 2200 square foot home. Our heating bills are under $200 a month in the worst winter months for us ( natural gas). Others in our neighborhood that haven't had their homes insulated and have similar homes pay $100-250 more a month for the same periods.

topbliss

Reaction score
Seal and re insulate your home and install a ultra efficient Carrier infinity hybrid system. Our 4 bed/3 bath 2200 sq foot split level has winter bills of $190 & summer bills topping out at $200 with gas AND electric combined including all local and federal taxes.. .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back