HELP! Getting Wood Stain Overspray off car...any ideas?

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
ITS OFF THANKS FOR THE HELP! Father in law was staining/painting the new Pergola and had the side door open not realizing that the wind had carried the overspray all over the Hyundai Veloster in the garage. The whole car is covered with black overspray and not sure the best way to get it off without messing the paint up? Any ideas...

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]IMAG2570.jpg:thanks1:

Attachments

• IMAG2563.jpg
    IMAG2563.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG2568.jpg
    IMAG2568.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG2569.jpg
    IMAG2569.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

dv8uagain

Worthless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
first thing i would try is a spot wash then hit it with a decent fine medium clay if it works then get to it on the whole car
You may want to try a fine grade clay first just to see if a less aggressive clay could get it. If it works then stick with that one and then finish out the rest of the car for him to be a nice son in law lol

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you try to wash it off?

most stains these days are water based

I'd agree that clay will work. I had overspray on my Shelby when I picked it up from the shop once. A couple hours with a clay bar and it was gone.

05xgt

Reaction score
I'd try a good fine polish as they contain mineral spirits. If its still fresh it should come right off. Make sure the polish is clear coat compatible!

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I have not washed it for him yet but will take it to the wash this weekend and see if it helps, if not I will try to clay bar for sure. Thanks for the info

Did you try to wash it off?

most stains these days are water based

I'd agree that clay will work. I had overspray on my Shelby when I picked it up from the shop once. A couple hours with a clay bar and it was gone.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome I will see how the clay bar does and go from there!

first thing i would try is a spot wash then hit it with a decent fine medium clay if it works then get to it on the whole car
You may want to try a fine grade clay first just to see if a less aggressive clay could get it. If it works then stick with that one and then finish out the rest of the car for him to be a nice son in law lol

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Its been on the car for a good 5 days but it hasn't moved from the same spot since until it gets cleaned! I am going to take it to the car wash and see what I can do there and then clay bar it after and if that doesn't work I can check out a polish then, thanks for the info!

I'd try a good fine polish as they contain mineral spirits. If its still fresh it should come right off. Make sure the polish is clear coat compatible!

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
Wash, then Clay Bar, then Polish. Should do the trick just good. Good luck.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Its off! Thanks for all the help guys! I hit it hard with the power washer and then used a clay bar and pulled it all off

Back