Help me choose a new HU

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm not too saavy when it comes to car audio but Ive decided the stock Shaker 500 unit needs to go sometime soon. It kills me to be using a FM transmitter for my iPhone because of the constant interference and bad sound quality. It doesn't make sense to me to spend $100+ for an adapter to use the stock unit when it skips on burned discs, gives eject errors, bad disc errors, and completely cuts out sometimes.

I changed the HU on my 97 Mustang with the Mach 460, but always had a pop when starting the car, and I dont think it ever really sounded as good as the factory stuff, which is why I'm asking for a little help.

Im looking for something with the following features:
Double DIN
Touch screen
Text for radio stations and songs on the iPod
iPhone connectivity (prefer built in)
Bluetooth (prefer built in)
Satellite radio (for when I decide to subscribe)
I don't need NAV since I already have a TomTom.

What would you guys recommend? I don't know what brands are good and which ones aren't anymore. I also do not plan on changing any other component of the Shaker 500, so I would like something to work with the other factory components.

The install will be done by me, so I also need to know what else I need. What mounting kit do you guys recommend?

Crutchfield also recommends a PAC C2R-FRD1 adapter. Will this be all I need and does it take care of the "pop" when starting the car? (assuming this is still an issue with the Shaker 500).

I know this is a lot to ask at one time but all the help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! I've been hating the stock HU since I popped in my first CD and it started skipping.

Tom

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
After a few hours of googling, I think I have pretty much answered all my original questions and think I have decided on the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT.

But, I may have lied about not replacing anything else. I did not realize that you didnt have to cut the stock harness or run new wires and an amp to run aftermarket speakers. I think changing the subs would be too much hassle from what I've read, but I'm interested in changing the stock 6x8s.

I've read some conflicting info on the stock speakers. I've read that the stock 6x8s are connected to an amp and I've also read that they are only powered by the HU. Does anyone have a definitive answer on which it is?

Secondly, I wasnt able to find much info on the Shelby Kicker replacement speakers. Does anyone have these? Since they appear to be specifically designed to work with the Shaker system would they be a better choice than, say, some Pioneer 6x8s with the aftermarket HU I mentioned?

Honestly, changing the HU and speakers is as far as I want to go so I want whatever will be the most improvement for my budget. I am not going to rip out the entire system and run new wires and have space taken up by large aftermarket amps.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.

Tom

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
When I installed my Pioneer AVIC Z2 I found out this:

The 6x8 speakers are ran off the headunit.

Mine has the Shaker 1000, so the door subs and trunk subs all run off of 4 amps. Shaker 500 systems have 2 amps to run the subs in the door only.

I only changed the headunit and the system sounded 100 times better. I use the built in Hi/Low pass crossovers in the radio.

The 3300BT should have Bluetooth and iPod control. If you want Sirius/XM, you will need to buy the add on box.

The Shelby system is way overpriced. Like $1500.

Just upgrade your own speakers and you should be fine.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks DK, thats exactly what I wanted to know. It appears there is a lot of bad info on the net with people confusing the old Mach 460 design and the Shaker 500.

At least now when I do upgrade the speakers I know they'll work.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Pioneer 3200BT. Looks like they may have upgraded it to the 3300BT. Either way, its an awesome unit. Ipod, dvd, bluetooth etc....its great. Was surprised how much it increased the bass without a sub. I also swapped out all the speakers. I love it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P33...arch=pioneer+receivers&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer

Thanks for the positive feedback. I haven't seen one bad review of this unit. My only gripe is I would much rather have a knob for volume. But, it looks like I need to get over that because I can't find another unit that comes close to this one in terms of functionality and reviews for the price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back