Help with suspension!

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I am currently running bc coilovers front and back. I have the rear adjusted about as high as i can go on spring perch and shock and i think it is still too low. The ride is harsh. Granted my backroads where i live are rough. I completely understand that i should expect it to be like this, but I am wondering if I can do anything to improve it. Wondering if I just need to sell the coilovers for something else or can I perhaps add a different rear spring to make a difference. I have ford racing bump stops and it practically sits directly on them all the time. Needless to say, it bottoms out on those easily. Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I am currently running bc coilovers front and back. I have the rear adjusted about as high as i can go on spring perch and shock and i think it is still too low. The ride is harsh. Granted my backroads where i live are rough. I completely understand that i should expect it to be like this, but I am wondering if I can do anything to improve it. Wondering if I just need to sell the coilovers for something else or can I perhaps add a different rear spring to make a difference. I have ford racing bump stops and it practically sits directly on them all the time. Needless to say, it bottoms out on those easily. Any suggestions

370a632fbc20544f8520b96f1931f762.jpg

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
While I don’t have coilovers on this car, I have in the past and for a daily driver, I’ll never have them again. I had the same issues. It was extremely frustrating and I never could figure out how to fix it before I totaled that car. That said, my suggestion would be go back to shocks and struts. Your wheel gap doesn’t even look like you are that low honestly. Or if you have the extra cash, just go for bags.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It looks a good 1" lower at least compared to my 2010.. which is lowered 1.25" . It appears that you are lowered a good 2.25".

What year is your car? What is the exact dimension from center of hub... to the top of the fender well ?? (that dimension will tell us everything we need to know. IF you change rear tire diameters, that dimension will NOT change..which is why it's used).

What size rear tires do you have on there ?

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
My BC's are the same way. I'm about at the max raised height on the spring perch that i'm comfortable with and my car sits about where yours does. I ordered a set of longer/taller (and stiffer) springs from BC, and it alleviated the ride height issue, but was even more harsh.

Have you cut the bump stops down at all? Mine are only about 1/3 as tall as they were from the factory.

1117a6b.jpg

46addict

Reaction score
You can try ordering taller and softer springs for the rear. I'm not sure if ride quality will improve any because you may need to turn up the shock stiffness to keep from bottoming out on the soft springs.

Stupid me ordered custom springs for mine and went 8k & 6k. I'm afraid of how it will turn out. I imagine it will be very tail happy and ride like shit.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
when I spoke to BC about it a couple of years ago, the only taller spring they had was also way stiffer. I rode it for a few years, didn't really feel that mucuh different and I got used to it, but when I changed back to the shorter springs, the difference was amazing.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
If your bump stop rubbers are OEM, cut them down to the first or second level for added suspension travel. You can also relocate the bump stops to a location directly under the flat part of the frame as opposed to the angled section. Bump Stop Relocation

Remember it's the shock that controls the "felt aspect" of the suspensions action by absorbing the surface irregularities. Assuming they are adjustable and can operate within the applied spring rate, you should be able to tune the harshness out.

Last edited:

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I will get some better measurements. I havent cut the bump stops. I just put them on and they seemed taller than the stock ones but my stockers were tore up. I dont mind the stance of the car but also wouldnt mind a little rake especially if the ride was at least slightly better. I have tried adjusting the settings on the coilovers with no luck. Wasnt sure if any different springs would fit. Otherwise ready to sell them and move on. They would be fine if i lived somewhere with better roads. Here is another pic.
04d263d158373107a5582ccc4d5cfbb1.jpg

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
May try cutting bumps or relocating. Thanks for the responses and help so far.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The only real solution is to loose the coilovers and go to a traditional drop spring with new shocks and struts.
The bump stops def need to be cut down no matter what.

46addict

Reaction score
Are those 20" wheels? I remember noticing a difference going from 18s to 20s with no other changes. You may want to go back to 18s with more sidewall on the tires. Or you can sell the coilovers like you mentioned.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Are those 20" wheels? I remember noticing a difference going from 18s to 20s with no other changes. You may want to go back to 18s with more sidewall on the tires. Or you can sell the coilovers like you mentioned.

I have considered this also. Was considering selling these for more of a drag setup. Barely get to the track though but i love the look.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have considered this also. Was considering selling these for more of a drag setup. Barely get to the track though but i love the look.

I highly recommend the BMR drag springs, I have had a few sets of springs on my car and these are by far the best riding as well as the purpose built nature of them. You won't loose any real cornering ability compared to a traditional drop spring and the stance is killer.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the BMR drag springs, I have had a few sets of springs on my car and these are by far the best riding as well as the purpose built nature of them. You won't loose any real cornering ability compared to a traditional drop spring and the stance is killer.

Moot point, but it's 'lose'.... not...'loose'.

46addict

Reaction score
Unrelated questions. Do the rear tires hit the fender at all in its current setting? And I assume you are on the default BC spring rates of 7k and 5k? Are the front coils on the highest setting as well?

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Tires do not seem to hit. Front coils are set pretty high also but have room to go. Standard Bc coils im pretty sure.

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
Bmr was on the top of my list if I start swapping parts.

What setup would you guys recommend as far as shocks struts springs?

Im running aftermarket swaybars and bmr poly lower control arms besides the current coilovers. I do occasional 1/4 mile but would love to get into autocross someday.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have 20s as well, standard BC setup and spring rates. Barely any visual gap between tire and fender on both front and rear of my car. Tires never hit anything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back