Home Interior Lighting Question

sajesak

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been working on revamping the lighting in my home's interior, and I'm in need of some guidance and inspiration. I've always believed that the right lighting can transform the ambiance of a room, but I'm not sure where to start. I have a few questions I'd love to get your insights on:

1. Fixture Types: What are some creative and effective fixture types you've used in your homes? I'm particularly interested in pendant lights, chandeliers, and sconces, but I'm open to any suggestions.

2. Color Temperature: How do you choose the right color temperature for different rooms? I want to create a cozy atmosphere in the living room but need something more functional in the kitchen.

3. Smart Lighting: Has anyone incorporated smart lighting systems into their home? If so, what are your experiences and recommendations? I'm intrigued by the idea of controlling lights with my phone or voice commands.

4. Energy Efficiency: Are there energy-efficient lighting options you'd recommend? I'm trying to be environmentally conscious while still achieving the desired ambiance.

5. Lighting Placement: Any tips on where to place fixtures for optimal illumination and aesthetics? I'd love to hear about your personal success stories or lessons learned.
Please share your experiences, ideas, and any photos if possible. I'm excited to learn from your expertise and make my home's interior lighting truly shine

sajesak

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been working on revamping the lighting in my home's interior, and I'm in need of some guidance and inspiration. I've always believed that the right lighting can transform the ambiance of a room, but I'm not sure where to start. I have a few questions I'd love to get your insights on:

1. Fixture Types: What are some creative and effective fixture types you've used in your homes? I'm particularly interested in pendant lights, chandeliers, and sconces, but I'm open to any suggestions.

2. Color Temperature: How do you choose the right color temperature for different rooms? I want to create a cozy atmosphere in the living room but need something more functional in the kitchen.

3. Smart Lighting: Has anyone incorporated smart lighting systems into their home? If so, what are your experiences and recommendations? I'm intrigued by the idea of controlling lights with my phone or voice commands.

4. Energy Efficiency: Are there energy-efficient lighting options you'd recommend? I'm trying to be environmentally conscious while still achieving the desired ambiance.

5. Lighting Placement: Any tips on where to place fixtures for optimal illumination and aesthetics Philips? I'd love to hear about your personal success stories or lessons learned.
Please share your experiences, ideas, and any photos if possible. I'm excited to learn from your expertise and make my home's interior lighting truly shine
Thanks in advance for your help.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
My wife and I have renovated our last house, bought as a fixer upper, spent 7 months renovating it before we moved in. New electrical, all new flooring, paint, lighting, recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen, tons of work.

Doing work now on the new house in NC.
Just had recessed lighting installed in the kitchen. Had new countertops installed with matching 1-piece backsplashes, and we're in the process of painting the cabinets, so the picture below doesn't show the final look.

As fast as color, we've found 3500k to be a great compromise between the yellowish tint of most bulbs (2700k) and the HID look of the "daylight"-type bulbs, 5000k+

For the kitchen though, we decided a little more whiteness was nice, so we went with 4000k color LEDs in the whole kitchen, including the island pendants and the undercabinet lighting.

Pretty sure in this picture the recessed lights and the undercabinet lights were still set for 3500k (they're adjustable)

20230814_184606.jpg

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ha ha, why would you just reply to yourself like that?

Spammer from Japan for sure, but you have posted an interesting topic.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
We installed a sputnik about four or five years ago. It was unique at the time, but now you see them more often. If you go with that you'll really need LED bulbs b/c incandescents make it too hot.

A good home improvement store should have a display of the LEDs so you can see how white/blue/yellow they are when illuminated. If you put a dimmer on an LED, you may need a special dimmer to avoid a buzzing noise. I can't remember whether it's a leading edge dimmer or a trailing edge dimmer. It was a special order from the manufacturer, but it wasn't too expensive. It just wasn't stocked by the local store.

Back