Home Theater AV Receiver suggestions??

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The time has come to upgrade the 13 year old Pioneer Elite VSR-54TX home receiver for a newer receiver with HDMI 4K HDR and HD Dolby Atmos capabilities.

The current unit is rated 110w @ 8ohms "all channels driven", which I am fully aware to be total BS. I am finding that Current receivers are rated XXX watts at X ohms "by two channels driven". This makes the decision a little tougher since the standard on specs changed some years back. I've tried talking to Crutchfield, as well as local mid to higher end HI-FI dealers and have had little luck getting much from them to help in making the decision. If I were tolling in dough or this was my only hobby I would spare no expense and go super high end. But its a side interest, so I wish to spend $1600 or less. Less is the desired as that leaves more for "go-fast" parts for the main hobby.

My speaker system is relatively simple. Monitor Audio Bronze 2 series book shelf (wall mounted) for the fronts (my wife finally won that battle and the floor stands and Paradigm Monitor 3's sit in the basement unused now), along with Paradigm Monitor series center channel and surrounds. The sub is a Velodyne 10 150 watt unit. I plan to complete a home theater room in the basement this spring so 7.2 atmos is my desire.

What are you running in a current system and what did you upgrade from if I could get some feedback. I am currently considering the RX-A1070 Yamaha, Marantz 7011 (though they are known for running hot), Sony STR-ZA3100ES (or 5000ES if a good price is offered), Pioneer Elite SCLX701, or possibly Onkyo TX-RZ810.The unit must be 4K HDR and Dolby atmos compliant.

I could care little about wireless connectivity, blue tooth, and other types of connectivity (other than hard wire ethernet). The unit is for home theater only. I have an old school component system to listen to cassettes, CD's, albums, and FM radio listening.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your feedback.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Happy with my Denon receiver, though it does not have 4K

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The Denon AVR-4400H is one of my final choices as I just found out that Marantz and Denon are owned by the same entity these days. It and the SR-7012 have the exact same specs all the way down except for weight which is .3 lb difference. The cost difference however is $2200 for the Marantz and $1600 for the 4400. So I am down to that model or one of two Yamahas. If the RX-A2070 will fit in the audio cabinet without having to leave the back access panel open (the system is in the main living room) I plan on going with the 2070 since it has more power (acccording to specs) than the 4400 for the exact same price. Both are also 9.2 receivers. I have looked at the setup manuals for both and also like the manual for the Yamaha better. The setup explanation is much more detailed. If the 2070 won't fit (gonna be close) I may consider the RX-A1070 which is a 7.2 system at 110 per channel, but its at $1200 bucks which is less yet than the pal deal I can't get from a mustang owner where i do my hi-fi business.

THanks for the feedback. Stay warm in Ventura.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Subsribed as I have an older Denon that is not 4K....but I need one that is 2 zone as I have speakers on the deck that my receiver powers.

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a used Yamaha RX-A1070 for less than $400 and am very happy with it. It has a quality DAC through HDMI if I'm not using my Oppo 105D for audio. I've always been happy with Yamaha, but I do not have 4k video yet. I'd save hundreds by going used as there's always new technology upgrades. Good luck.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Where did you find a Yamaha 1070BL for $400???? Thats a steal!!!

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was reading reviews of the Onkyo on Amazon and there are a lot of negative reviews; the Yamaha seems to be a very good brand and the 1070 seems to be a good bang for the buck according to Amazon reviews.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a used Yamaha RX-A1070 for less than $400 and am very happy with it. It has a quality DAC through HDMI if I'm not using my Oppo 105D for audio. I've always been happy with Yamaha, but I do not have 4k video yet. I'd save hundreds by going used as there's always new technology upgrades. Good luck.

This is the route I am going to go almost certain. Yamaha 1070 like you got. I've never had a Yamaha piece before. I stopped by the local stereo store today and we discussed the 2070 but unfortunately it will not fit in my cabinet because of its depth. I really wanted that unit, but I will settle on the 1070 instead. PLus currently Yamaha is out of stock on the 2070. I read through some of the manual on line and I like how Yamaha provides detail to the setup process as well as many other things such as a glossary to get you up to speed with their tech terms as well as newer specs and processes like Dolby Vision I was unaware of. I also checked and the latest firmware revision for the 1070,2070,3070 has the Dolby Vision update on it. Mine should arrive already updated.

I have always been a bargain hunter and sought out used end of year models, floor demos, and/or open box returns for virtually every piece of stereo equipment I own. I love a bargain. I've decided the heck with that on this purchase and for once in my life get what I want in a sealed box.

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you find a Yamaha 1070BL for $400???? Thats a steal!!!
Ebay, I negotiated on a "best offer" listing. I just checked sold listings and one sold for $405 + shipping in November so there are deals to be had. I also got my Oppo 105D used on Ebay for I think $650 shipped. I was shocked that my offer was accepted. It didn't have a remote, but I got a new one through Oppo for like $15 shipped.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I looked on ebay for them and all I saw was new...sigh..guess I will have to keep looking.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well...I looked at the ebay ads and found 1 with make an offer so I offered $400, we will see how badly I get laughed at...

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am on my 8th Pioneer Elite Receiver. When it was time to replace my SC-07 last November I went into my dealer for a SCLX701 but left with a SC-89. The SC-89 supports 4K and Dolby Atmos but does not support DTS:X and it does not have Bluetooth. But I am sure an adapter can be purchased for BT. Because it is a new 2015 model I got it for under 2/3 the CDN list price, this would be under your $1600 US.

I have the SC-89 deployed in a 9.2 channel surround system configuration with Top Middle / Front Wide speakers for Dolby Atmos. It has lots of power to drive Paradigm Monitor series speakers (except for high and wide) I am loving it so far and I think the Pioneer iPhone app iControlAV5 is pretty cool.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Onkyo and Pioneer are now owned by the same company. I have owned two previous Pioneer Elite units. The first one started having issues after 2 years. The second one is still working 10+ years later but outdated for the soon to arrive 4K Tv and 4K blueray player. I also considered the SCLX-701 (could have got it for 1299 at Best Buy) but decided this time to try out the Yamaha RX-A1070 unit I just ordered this evening. 7.2 (5.2.2 capable) and 110watts @ 8 ohms is plenty. With all of the wireless bells and whistles on the units today I have no problem paying a local guy a little more to have one on one support down the street should I run into a setup hitch. Second if there is a warranty issue I have a person to take it to not a phone number and address to mail it to. last the guy is a local Mustang nut so patronizing his business is also a good thing.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I have no problem paying a local guy a little more to have one on one support down the street should I run into a setup hitch. Second if there is a warranty issue I have a person to take it to not a phone number and address to mail it to. last the guy is a local Mustang nut so patronizing his business is also a good thing.
This ^^^^

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
Well...I looked at the ebay ads and found 1 with make an offer so I offered $400, we will see how badly I get laughed at...
I had a good amount of back and forth messaging the seller. You can use Ebay advanced search to see sold listings and use that info to help justify your offer.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I bought the Yamaha 770 last night from Ebay for $565 shipped after a long discussion with a tech from Crutchfield; it does everything the 1070 does but about $500 cheaper and I don't plan on powering the amount of equipment the 1070 can handle.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I bought the Yamaha 770 last night from Ebay for $565 shipped after a long discussion with a tech from Crutchfield; it does everything the 1070 does but about $500 cheaper and I don't plan on powering the amount of equipment the 1070 can handle.

Nice deal. The guys at crutchfield are really good to speak with. I put them up there with service providers like BMR and VMP Performance with regard to quality and service.

For me I have found that moderation in stereo equipment is like moderation in HP. When you think you will be happy with a given amount, you end up finding out you want a little bit more...and then a little bit more more....and so on. LOL! I'm still reconsidering the 2070 and finding a way to make it fit. LOL!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back