How to cover interior trim pieces with Alcantara

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Hello again,
Here's a video demonstrating how I was able to cover various interior trim pieces of my Mustang with "alcantara" (microsuede), some people might think this is rice but I personally loved the results and think it came out rather well, as I'm not a fan of the hard-touch plastics our cars are filled with.

I also did my a-pillars but I don't have pictures of them because I did them a long time ago and they have faded from UV and I need to redo them

JWudckh.png

uhApbYq.png

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you get the material? I've been thinking about doing the A pillars in my car for something different.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Where did you get the material? I've been thinking about doing the A pillars in my car for something different.

I got mine from a local fabric store, just call around asking if they have microsuede.

I did my a pillars but I need to redo them.. I recommend using 3m double sided foam tape on the entire surface of the a-pillar to apply the fabric instead of spray glue

You're also going to want an extra set of hands to help you, the big curve is kind of tricky and it's a bit like wrapping with vinyl

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I got mine from a local fabric store, just call around asking if they have microsuede.

I did my a pillars but I need to redo them.. I recommend using 3m double sided foam tape on the entire surface of the a-pillar to apply the fabric instead of spray glue

You're also going to want an extra set of hands to help you, the big curve is kind of tricky and it's a bit like wrapping with vinyl
Cool. Thanks. I've got a spare A pillar I can practice on.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

Have you tried this method, it doesn't sound viable at all much less the fact that 3m trim tape costs a fortune, why won't the super 77 or the step above that work?

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Have you tried this method, it doesn't sound viable at all much less the fact that 3m trim tape costs a fortune, why won't the super 77 or the step above that work?

Driver side I used spray glue and the passenger side I used the tape, I prefer the tape because it was a lot easier to work with, the large compound bend makes the fabric not want to stick. I did it by myself and had a lot of trouble with the glue, but the tape was a lot easier.

The driver side has bubbles because it was the first time experimenting with the spray glue and microsuede. It doesn't feel as good to the touch, the side with tape has a bit of sponge to it and feels better as a result.

I'd guess maybe 3/4ths of a roll of tape would be needed, which is like 25 bucks local to me.. it's kind of expensive but wont break the bank

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Driver side I used spray glue and the passenger side I used the tape, I prefer the tape because it was a lot easier to work with, the large compound bend makes the fabric not want to stick. I did it by myself and had a lot of trouble with the glue, but the tape was a lot easier.

The driver side has bubbles because it was the first time experimenting with the spray glue and microsuede. It doesn't feel as good to the touch, the side with tape has a bit of sponge to it and feels better as a result.

I'd guess maybe 3/4ths of a roll of tape would be needed, which is like 25 bucks local to me.. it's kind of expensive but wont break the bank
After I posted I started to consider this, I would image if the adhesive tape actually holds the fabric over time it will be more durable too. What did you do to hold the facbic on the back side of the pillar you taped?

smartass_garage

Reaction score
After I posted I started to consider this, I would image if the adhesive tape actually holds the fabric over time it will be more durable too. What did you do to hold the facbic on the back side of the pillar you taped?

I used more double sided tape (splitting the width), but you could get away with using spray adhesive for that part

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Would it be better to glue some kind of thin foam to the alcantara before attaching it to the pillar?

I'm willing to bet they make automotive grade alcantara with a backing, a lot it's purposes would require it, it would also keep the glue from bleeding through

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't messed with the stuff yet because it's somewhat pricey.

SoundmanCA put out a video today of him doing a suede headliner, and he used a foam backed suede (love this channel)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back