How to for Beginners with under $100?

Eldude

forum member
Reaction score
<i>Dude, you could have gotten an orbital at Wal-Mart for $15. They carry the same stuff as everybody else, but cheaper. What they don't carry, then you gotta go to Pep Boys or where ever you like.</i>

Speaking from experience those cheap random orbital buffers are complete junk. The motors in them are so weak they can't do anything. You have to be willing to drop the money on a proper random orbital like a Porter Cable

LuckyH

forum member
Reaction score
I got 1 from walmart at it was fine. But I do want to get a good buffer.

The orbitals at wal mart and the such really arent good for anything but applying wax and even then they aren't that helpful. Main reason is they don't have enough power/speed to do paint correction. If you are wanting to use products for minor to moderate paint correction I would recommend getting a DA. Megiars makes one called the G110

url

Another good one to look into is the 7424xp.
url

Both of these have enough power to do just about anything you would want to do, paint correction wise. They are both just north of $100, are safe to use (as opposed to using a porter cable). Look at the following video.

Last edited:

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Dude, you could have gotten an orbital at Wal-Mart for $15. They carry the same stuff as everybody else, but cheaper. What they don't carry, then you gotta go to Pep Boys or where ever you like.

You might as well just throw $15 away. A real buffer costs way more and is the only thing that will work. Get a porter cable 7424 and some Lake country pads if you want to really be able to get the job done.

A Wal Mart buffer will not, I repeat, WILL NOT have enough friction and power to effectively remove swirls!!!!!

Did anyone mention using Grit guards in the buckets????

Here, read this. . .

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34297

and this. . .

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35534

Eldude

forum member
Reaction score
This past weekend I finally got around to doing paint correction on my car, took 4 hours with the Porter Cable and just some Scratch-x, but it got rid of all the swirl marks and pitting on black paint.

There's still a few scratches here and there because i'm kinda worried about using a compound with a heavier cut.

But after seeing the results with my porter cable I'm going to just throw out that shitty wal-mart "buffer", after smashing it of course

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back