how to make my black leather seats soft?

snopro442

forum member
Reaction score
I have black leather in my gt and they seem "dry" to me, what are you using to make them soft again?

08GTCA

forum member
Reaction score
Funny that i just did mine today. I use Meguiars Gold Class rich leather,
cleaner/conditioner. I also use Lexol cleaner in between for cleaning only. Just follow the directions and i feel that it does a good job. My seats are just over 2 years old and they look and feel great. I used in on my last Mustang for 4 years before that with the same outcome.

krazykarguy

5.0 noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but I have noticed a distinct difference in the 'suppleness' of my 2014 Premium Package driver's seat vs. my passenger seat.

The passenger seat leather (especially near the forward-most edge of the cushion) seems hard and tough when compared with the driver's seat. The passenger seat's cushion also doesn't seem as 'ribbed' as the driver's side, almost as though the leather is shrinking and the increased tautness is flattening the ribs.

I have the Lexol leather conditioner, and it seems to help a little bit, but nothing groundbreaking... I've even gone so far as to spray it directly on the seat and then wipe it into the leather, and waiting an entire day to buff of the excess.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I would also like to confirm what parts of the Premium Package seats are actually leather - I am certain that these are 'leather trimmed' seats and not actually full leather seats. My guess would be that the center portions of the seats and the headrest front are leather, the rest is vinyl. Thoughts?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lanolin might do the job. It's used to break in and soften baseball gloves and my Dad once said he has used it in the past on leather seats.

46addict

Reaction score
I always thought the suppleness is a sign of wear. If the passenger seat doesn't get used as much it will stay harder and newer.

And unless something changed for 2011-14, you're right about the leather on these cars not being real leather. The portions that touch your body are more real than the rest of the seat, hence "leather seating surfaces."

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Took my Bullitt to a detailer for complete interior/exterior cleaning. For shade over $100 he made it sparkle, soft & smell like new. Much better than me buying/trying & sweating my time away...;) :D

ixtlan

Reaction score
LEXOL Does Wonders

BTW
Only the centers you sit in are Leather.
Sides and everything else (And the full back seat) are Pleather vinyl.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back