How to remove Ford performance air filter

MTstang

Reaction score
I know this will be a simple answer, but I can't for the life of me figure how's to remove the Ford performance air filter. Also what is the best stuff to use for cleaning it?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm a bit lost here. What kind of intake are we talking about here? Is this something found on a Bullit or something?

If it's a panel style, it should be housed in an air box held closed by 2 or more retaining clips on the edges of the box. Release those to access the filter.

If it's a cone style, exposed or boxed, the cone will either be a twist & release type, slip on, or held in place by a worm clamp. Worm clamps typically are a hex head style with either Philips or flat head as an option. Removal method is fairly obvious.

I only know of Paper and Cotton type filter materials typically used for Mustangs. Paper ones should not be cleaned & re-used. Unless you're just knocking the dust/debris out and re-using it in that sense. All Cotton types are usually safe using K&N's cleaning/re-oiling kit. Some Cotton type filters don't require oil, but are rare. When I clean my Cotton type filters, I use the K&N cleaning spray, rinse with cold low pressure water and if there's larger debris trapped in the pleats I use a needle nose or tweezers to remove debris. Set the panel or cone up-right so the water runs off and let it dry for 3-6 hours (depending on temp, humidity, airflow). Re-apply K&N filter oil to the filtering side only (dirty side) and let that dry. Wipe away any excess oil. Excess oil can/will foul your MAF. It's good practice to clean your MAF when you clean your air filter, but also to check your MAF after running the car for a while with a freshly cleaned filter, to make sure no oil is fouling your MAF sensor.

Hope this is in the ballpark for ya.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Just say'n...pics are worth their weight in gold, when requesting assistance. Also, a service manual is your friend. ;) :D

MTstang

Reaction score
I have tried loosen the clamp, it has a peg that won't allow it to spin and on on other end that won't allow it to come out. After a little research it is a throw away air filter but I still am struggling to get it out. I just don't want to break part of the housing.

Attachments

• 20171118_084720.jpg
    20171118_084720.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like you're going to have to also remove the pipe going form the intake to the filter. You won't have enough room otherwise.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I used to have to loosen the intake tube to get enough wiggle room to maneuver the filter out of my housing. I have since gone to a slightly shorter filter and it can barely squeak out of there but I don't have to loosen up anything else.

BullittSS

Reaction score
I have tried loosen the clamp, it has a peg that won't allow it to spin and on on other end that won't allow it to come out. After a little research it is a throw away air filter but I still am struggling to get it out. I just don't want to break part of the housing.
If you have a replacement, why not just cut it? Is it actually the correct filter part number?

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you have a replacement, why not just cut it? Is it actually the correct filter part number?

If he has the same replacement filter he is going to have to loosen the intake tube anyways to get it on.

SLIKSKILZ

Reaction score
Use a pair of dykes and cut the clamp off. Then buy a new worm gear clamp with your replacement filter.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No, don't cut anything. Loosen/remove those two bolts on either side of the intake tube by the neck of the air filter. They take either a 10mm or 13mm socket. Then lift the filter up out of the box and twist it off the tube. It's rubber on plastic so it sticks, you need to unstick it to get it off.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
I just LOVE the people that say to cut stuff!!!!!! The filter went in without cutting stuff, it will come out without cutting! As skwerl said, two bolts and lift it up to remove.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Most definitely need a replacement & the answer is there (remove two bolts, wiggle loose & pop out). It's just been in there way too long...probably since rolling off factory belt. :D

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Once you get it removed, clean the inside of the tube downstream. No doubt, all sorts of crap will have migrated past the dirty filter. I'd clean it all out, end to end, TB included...+ maf sensor etc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back