How to swap a 5.4 into your mustang.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Weatherman, no I have never had it to a dyno. I am not really a "number" guy. I like the way it runs and sounds, so I am happy with it as it sits. With 11.7 to 1 compression and the 2001 Cobra cams, I am very happy. It is for show, cruising, etc, and I am currently building a track-only 2005 with a 460-based engine to beat on.

VolDead08, the engine harness is basically plug and play to the engine for what I did (meaning that I put the alternator in the 4.6 GT location and used GT battery harness and alternator charge cable). I did have to lengthen the wire for the water temp 6" and change the back-up light plug at the trans to a GT plug (I used the GT 5speed). Most of my problems came from the Yella Terra upper. If I had to do it again, I would just make another sheet-fabbed upper or the FRPP 5.0 Coyote Cobra Jet plastic intake.

Everything else was simply a matter of using the GT500-spec sensor/part to plug the harness connector into. I was shocked by how many of the V6 sensors are the same as the GT and GT500, which saves money too.

Last edited:

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
VolDead08, the engine harness is basically plug and play to the engine for what I did (meaning that I put the alternator in the 4.6 GT location and used GT battery harness and alternator charge cable). I did have to lengthen the wire for the water temp 6" and change the back-up light plug at the trans to a GT plug (I used the GT 5speed). Most of my problems came from the Yella Terra upper. If I had to do it again, I would just make another sheet-fabbed upper.

Everything else was simply a matter of using the GT500-spec sensor/part to plug the harness connector into. I was shocked by how many of the V6 sensors are the same as the GT and GT500, which saves money too.

Do you happen to have a write up of your swap, or are you planning on doing a write up? I see some people with the 5.4L 4V but I hardly find any information or swap write ups online.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a complete and formal writeup, but life got in the way. I can tell you that Ford has made it very easy to do this swap (compared to Fox or sn95 bodies) as long as you use the same year harness and pcm that matches your body year. The 05-06 Mustangs have wiring changes and the 2010+ is a lot different (gauge cluster mess).

Basically, if you have an 07-09 Mustang (v6 or GT) and a 07-09 GT500 engine, GT500 engine harness, GT500 starter/battery harness and a 07-09 GT500 pcm, you can plug everything in and go. As long as you understand what is similar and what is different between the v6, GT and GT500, you can save a lot. My v6 gauges work! Since I don't have a 400+hp engine, I am still running the v6 fuel pump. Using a non-GT500 5.4 DOHC engine requires fabrication and a few compromises. You can ask me specific questions, but I probably won't do the formal writeup anytime soon.

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
I was planning on doing a complete and formal writeup, but life got in the way. I can tell you that Ford has made it very easy to do this swap (compared to Fox or sn95 bodies) as long as you use the same year harness and pcm that matches your body year. The 05-06 Mustangs have wiring changes and the 2010+ is a lot different (gauge cluster mess).

Basically, if you have an 07-09 Mustang (v6 or GT) and a 07-09 GT500 engine, GT500 engine harness, GT500 starter/battery harness and a 07-09 GT500 pcm, you can plug everything in and go. As long as you understand what is similar and what is different between the v6, GT and GT500, you can save a lot. My v6 gauges work! Since I don't have a 400+hp engine, I am still running the v6 fuel pump. Using a non-GT500 5.4 DOHC engine requires fabrication and a few compromises. You can ask me specific questions, but I probably won't do the formal writeup anytime soon.

I am in no rush to complete the swap, so whenever you get the write up done, post it up to the site. There is hardly any write ups about the swap, even though a handful of people have done it. Kuro made it sound easy with his, because his was a 3V, and I am interested in doing the 4V.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a write up of your swap, or are you planning on doing a write up? I see some people with the 5.4L 4V but I hardly find any information or swap write ups online.

I'm doing a 5.4 4V swap at the moment. Check out the thread in my sig - complete write up as I go along. It is not a 5.4 4v N/A swap though - simply a GT500 engine/trans. Like mentioned above, I have a 09 so I am simply plugging in the GT500 engine harness along with the stock GT body and dash harness into a GT500 ECU. Not interested in using the GT500 gauge cluster (with the boost gauge). If I was then I'd have to swap the entire dash harness.

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
I'm doing a 5.4 4V swap at the moment. Check out the thread in my sig - complete write up as I go along. It is not a 5.4 4v N/A swap though - simply a GT500 engine/trans. Like mentioned above, I have a 09 so I am simply plugging in the GT500 engine harness along with the stock GT body and dash harness into a GT500 ECU. Not interested in using the GT500 gauge cluster (with the boost gauge). If I was then I'd have to swap the entire dash harness.

Yeah, I am kinda following your thread, but it seems that you are just swapping everything over. I am jealous of all your toys. I plan on just swapping in a 5.4L 4V with any forced induction, for right now. If I come across a GT500 engine for a decent price when the time comes, then it will happen, but if not, I am not worried. People have just told me, it couldn't be done, and that is kinda why I want to do it, just to prove them wrong. :nk:

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
I am in no rush to complete the swap, so whenever you get the write up done, post it up to the site. There is hardly any write ups about the swap, even though a handful of people have done it. Kuro made it sound easy with his, because his was a 3V, and I am interested in doing the 4V.

Trying to do an N/A 4V? with your "budget build" V6?

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
Trying to do an N/A 4V? with your "budget build" V6?

That was a plan, once I got out of high school, but have since decided it wasnt worth it. Might do it when I get a GT just to say that it is different and have the potential to go high boost in the future if I wanted.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am kinda following your thread, but it seems that you are just swapping everything over. I am jealous of all your toys. I plan on just swapping in a 5.4L 4V with any forced induction, for right now. If I come across a GT500 engine for a decent price when the time comes, then it will happen, but if not, I am not worried. People have just told me, it couldn't be done, and that is kinda why I want to do it, just to prove them wrong. :nk:

Pfft! Why do what everyone else is doing when you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILMgirAox4

please learn to embed video - http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3643

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

Reaction score
What kind of custom work is needed when upgrading v6 driveshaft to a v8

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back