In Failsafe mode after installing new TB

smillysmile

Reaction score
So a no brainer I guess you could say. But the problem is I cannot for the life of me get the car out of failsafe. First installed the new tb and failsafe so I threw the old one back on to get the TSP voltage which read 1.23v then reinstalled the new rn and adjusted to 1.23v and again failsafe. I have since gone back to stock tb and same problem still. I’m stumped. A little help?

smillysmile

Reaction score
The instructions that came with it didn’t point out to take tsp voltage before you do anything. So I’m not 100% on 1.23v since i had to reinstall to stock to get the voltage. Just found out (based on a video) that I can adjust the screw on drivers side of the tb to change voltage instead of twisting the tsp while it’s mounted like my instructions say. The voltage I’m looking for is from 1.19-1.31 correct? So should I just go through all till I find the correct voltage?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Some history as to why you are replacing the TB to begin with would help. Details on the symptom and what led you to this point allow for a better and more thorough reply. Otherwise all you get is a bunch of guesses.

smillysmile

Reaction score
Some history as to why you are replacing the TB to begin with would help. Details on the symptom and what led you to this point allow for a better and more thorough reply. Otherwise all you get is a bunch of guesses.
Recently throttle response has been sluggish. Fuel filter is new, rails and injectors should be clean. I then decided to upgrade tb.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Recently throttle response has been sluggish. Fuel filter is new, rails and injectors should be clean. I then decided to upgrade tb.

Out curiosity which TB did you buy? And as mentioned DON'T screw with the screw on the stock TB! It only leads to the dark side.

smillysmile

Reaction score
Out curiosity which TB did you buy? And as mentioned DON'T screw with the screw on the stock TB! It only leads to the dark side.
SR Performance twin 62mm. I wasn’t going to mess with the stock. Was gonna see if the screw on the new tb would help solve the problem

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
SR Performance twin 62mm. I wasn’t going to mess with the stock. Was gonna see if the screw on the new tb would help solve the problem

That is the unit that requires you to swap the TPS and motor from the stock assembly correct? If so it may as well be labeled a BBK. It is very possible that you are having some issues because the gearing on the motor and that wrap spring can be tricky to get properly swapped over. Additionally the TPS can be damaged when it gets removed for swap over if you aren't very careful with it. You aren't going to gain much if anything going to a larger TB on a mostly stock setup (you never specified the setup so I assume stock) not to mention you will likely lose some bottom end torque. Knowing waht CEL's are being generated under limp mode would help you determine if the problem is with the TPS or the motor.

smillysmile

Reaction score
That is the unit that requires you to swap the TPS and motor from the stock assembly correct? If so it may as well be labeled a BBK. It is very possible that you are having some issues because the gearing on the motor and that wrap spring can be tricky to get properly swapped over. Additionally the TPS can be damaged when it gets removed for swap over if you aren't very careful with it. You aren't going to gain much if anything going to a larger TB on a mostly stock setup (you never specified the setup so I assume stock) not to mention you will likely lose some bottom end torque. Knowing waht CEL's are being generated under limp mode would help you determine if the problem is with the TPS or the motor.
Correct I have to swap everything. Thought it might be tsp so I bought a new one. Same problem. I will get the exact check engine codes tomorrow. But I get the stuck open and low circuit. For the most part stock, yes. I didn’t seem to have a hard time swapping the spring and motor over.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I was getting the same codes with my BBK. Only thing that solved the issue was ditching it and shedding out the cash for the Ford racing one. Not worth the money if your not F/I

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Flap stuck is a clear indication that the motor is not moving the TB to the commanded position or getting it back to the relaxed position in the amount of time required by the PCM. This will generate an immediate CEL because of the safety concern involved.

I was going to purchase the BBK shortly after buying my 2005 GT used in 2007. Thankfully I did some digging and found many people having issues with the unit and saved myself a lot of potential headaches and down time for no improvement in HP in return.

As was mentioned above and I do agree, you will gain little to nothing with a twin 62mm by itself.

smillysmile

Reaction score
Flap stuck is a clear indication that the motor is not moving the TB to the commanded position or getting it back to the relaxed position in the amount of time required by the PCM. This will generate an immediate CEL because of the safety concern involved.

I was going to purchase the BBK shortly after buying my 2005 GT used in 2007. Thankfully I did some digging and found many people having issues with the unit and saved myself a lot of potential headaches and down time for no improvement in HP in return.

As was mentioned above and I do agree, you will gain little to nothing with a twin 62mm by itself.
Correct. That was my issue and didn’t even realize it. Next time I will go with the ford racing. The SR twin 62mm is cheap garbage. Learned my lesson :/

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. That was my issue and didn’t even realize it. Next time I will go with the ford racing. The SR twin 62mm is cheap garbage. Learned my lesson :/

Its easy to get caught up in the hype especially if you're on a budget. Been there done that.

smillysmile

Reaction score
Its easy to get caught up in the hype especially if you're on a budget. Been there done that.
Exactly! I’m looking at getting more power without going the forced induction route and I’m not exactly sure where I wanna start. All I’ve done is easy bolt on crap K&N CAI, That new TB, Flowmaster outlaw axle backs.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly! I’m looking at getting more power without going the forced induction route and I’m not exactly sure where I wanna start. All I’ve done is easy bolt on crap K&N CAI, That new TB, Flowmaster outlaw axle backs.

Gear, tune, OR pipe, and CAI are the more budget oriented and proven choices for an N/A setup. If its not a daily and you wish to spend a little bit more consider an E-85 upgrade while staying NA. I have no experience personally on E-85 as my car remains on 93 by choice since I use it for more than going to the track or a cruise in. But guys I know have gained substantially in doing so. And they give me grief about not going E-82 every chance they get. I am not sure how much HP gain you will see or how far you can go on stock Fuel injectors and fuel delivery system on E-85. Someone else can best answer that question than me. It would be something to check into before spending too much money and then deciding to go that route finding you have to back track. Good planning with a focus on future upgrades while maximizing on current add on's is essential to keeping the cost down. Do your research and speak with your preferred speed shop/parts vendor. Find out what your tuner likes to use and stay away from things he does not prefer. Most tuners/speed shops want you to be happy when they take your money. Tuners especially don't want a bad review. If this is all stuff you already know, sorry for rattling on and speaking down. Just trying to save you some heartache in the event you haven't been down this road before.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
If you do want to get a larger tb but dont have enough money for the frpp unit I highly recommend buying a gt500 tb with the bbr adaptor plate. The only thing is the holes for the bolts will need to be machined. I got around this but its not ideal. Still, I only paid 50 bucks for the tb and whatever it was for the adaptor plate.

And I totally agree with what redfire says. Ive done what he has listed and I can tell you all those mods will wake up the 3v. Add longtubes and you’ll have a sweet combo that’ll be able to hang with a lot of cars if that matters.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back