Installed Accel SuperCoil on car, now it barely runs, even with the original coils on the car.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
I have a 2008 GT that ran great. I replaced 1 coil pack (#1 cylinder) with an Accel SuperCoil for a test fit. I drove about a block and the car starting running terrible. I came right back home and put the old coil back on, but the car still idles like crap. My OBDII tool says mis-fire on all cylinders. What happened?

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
Check your fuses, and see if you have power to the coils. It’s possible you blew a fuse and cut power to multiple coils.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have accel coil packs and zero issues.

If I remember correctly the coil packs share a common ground wire or at least each side does. Might want to start there if it’s all the cylinders Mia firing.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score

If I remember correctly the coil packs share a common ground wire or at least each side does. Might want to start there if it’s all the cylinders Mia firing.
The coils are ground triggered from the computer. There should be a fuse for each bank, and the coils share power.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I purchased a tester to go between the coil pack and the spark plug to know for sure if the coil is firing; rented a light flasher to plug into the injector power plug to make sure that is firing, and I'm doing a compression; its running so badly, I need to confirm I still have a good engine. Two cylinders in; so far so good.

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score

Did you notice any improvements on the butt dyno?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Did you notice any improvements on the butt dyno?

Nope, not a thing. But I wasn't expecting anything either. Just needed to replace one and got a deal on a set from somewhere. Maybe CJ Pony because one of their two warehouses is right here in Vegas. It's nice to be able to order parts and go pick them up the same afternoon.

They are yellow so it adds a little color to the engine. I used to have some little chrome covers that I liked but I was unable to remove them from the old coils. Don't have a pic of the Accel coils.

Last edited:

Jerry Stoneking

Reaction score
So the answer appears to be pure coincidence. The attached pic is my Amsoil filter with the special metal flake.

OilFilter.jpg

MrBhp

Reaction score
That's not good. I don't think so anyway. If your timing chain tensioners experienced catastrophic failure I think the chain can contact a piece of the cover.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I have accel coils in a box because they shit the bed after just a few thousand miles. Switched to msd and never had a problem. Not a fan of accel. I see your problem is mechanical though.

Back