it seems like this tool would work

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Why do you think the 3v Rotunda tool is a pos? It works great IMO.

And I don't believe that tool will work.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't look that close to see how big that was, but I've used those before on the older 5.0's and wasn't impressed. They need to be almost exactly the size of the spring diameter to even think about working, plus it will be impossible to use on the reduced diameter keepers on the beehive springs unless it was specifically designed for them.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the 3v Rotunda tool is a pos? It works great IMO.

And I don't believe that tool will work.

i call it a pos because of the price, not the quality. i'm thinking the other tool i purchased on ebay might be able to be modified to make work. it's cheap enough to fool around with that nothing is lost if it doesn't.

aside from that, i picked up the rotunda tool a little while ago from ebay at a pretty good price, so for me it's all academic. right now the other tool i'll just see if it can be modified so perhaps future cam swappers might have an alternative to shelling out $147 for the rotunda tool.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't look that close to see how big that was, but I've used those before on the older 5.0's and wasn't impressed. They need to be almost exactly the size of the spring diameter to even think about working, plus it will be impossible to use on the reduced diameter keepers on the beehive springs unless it was specifically designed for them.

i'm thinking the "cut out socket" trick a couple of guys have used with ordinary spring compressors might work on this one. if the "hooks" wont grab the spring, perhaps some extensions can be welded at a right angle to hook under the cam....sort of like the original tool, if you can imagine what i'm talking about.

i just like finding less expensive alternatives....it's as much a hobby as actually modding the car

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We Need to start a S197 Forum Tools Rental area, Pay for Shipping both ways and a $10 - $20 rental fee and some sort of security like check or CC. maybe sponsors and members can donate un-used tools to this effort :thumb:

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
rojizostang you're killing me, but
i wish you luck none the less lol

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Cheapasses. Hell....a friggin' screwdriver will work if you've got enough patience and muscle coordination.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We Need to start a S197 Forum Tools Rental area, Pay for Shipping both ways and a $10 - $20 rental fee and some sort of security like check or CC. maybe sponsors and members can donate un-used tools to this effort :thumb:

that sounds like a really good idea. perhaps though in order to help this site out, it should be for "supporting members" only. if a person doesn't return a tool, or pay up on time, then they could be prohibited from posting perhaps...who knows?

like you said, maybe some of the mods could take up this idea

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i have that exact tool (the ebay one), used it on my 350 when i had a z28, i got it from advance auto parts or autozone.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that tool will not work. i bought one and i chop it in pieces. to help me get the springs out, using a flipstone methond. but used a different one to put them back on. dont waste ur money on it. there is not space for it. i use my dremmel to make the thiner and it dindt help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back