It simply won't start

blackjack07

Reaction score
Simply stated the car suddenly won't start. I drove it Friday afternoon with zero issues, about 40 miles. Jacked it up on stands to do a rebuild on the rear sway bar bushings for about 3 hours yesterday. Dropped the car to test drive it and it won't start. Cranks normally, half tank of gas. I logged in with the OBD, key on, no codes, no faults. Fuel pump fuse is still good. I purchased a new fuel pump relay, new filter and MAF to start down the replacement pathway. Meantime, anybody got any insight or suggestions as to what caused this dilemma? The car typically runs run flawlessly. There's only 45,000 on the odo. Thanks in advance.

blackjack07

Reaction score
Not sure. Gave a listen at the fuel filler with the cap off while my helper did key on. No discernable sound there. Can't tell if I'm hearing the intercooler pump and fuel pump at the same time. I did reset the IFS (with a noticeable "click") and swapped out the fuel pump relay, fuse and MAF. Still won't start.

JimC

Reaction score
Check the inertial switch (in the driver side kick panel). Maybe when you jacked it up or set it down you triggered that switch.

JC SSP

Reaction score
You need three things to fire an engine: fuel, spark and air.

Not sure what jacking up the car could do to impact these three?

On initial key on (KO) engine off (EO) you should hear pump start and prime, if you’re not hearing that then there is no fuel. Hunt down where the disconnect/fault is at… if you’re hearing the pump then you have fue and move towards the engine and look at ignition.

blackjack07

Reaction score
Update: We have ignition. I removed the rear seat to confirm the fuel pump was running. Check. Retraced my steps including replacing the 10 a PCM fuse. Disconnected and reconnected the fuel pump driver module. Replaced the fuel pump relay and fuse again (made in China). Pushed the reset on the IFS one more time and it fired up.

blackjack07

Reaction score
Very satisfying for sure. One thing stands out to me and that there is virtually no mention in the troubleshooting protocols I have found with Ford, Haynes or Chilton is to check the connection on the fuel pump drive module. Despite being in the spare tire well, it is ridiculously exposed to harm. I may be one of the irregular maintenance nut jobs that clears everything out of the trunk and spare well occasionally to clean it out, check spare pressure and to check for rattles and leaks. I think that I may have inadvertently dislodged the connecter during my latest foray into this exercise. Just a note to future self: add this to the checklist when troubleshooting a no start scenario. Thanks for the support guys.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Check the inertial switch (in the driver side kick panel). Maybe when you jacked it up or set it down you triggered that switch.
You need three things to fire an engine: fuel, spark and air.

Not sure what jacking up the car could do to impact these three?

On initial key on (KO) engine off (EO) you should hear pump start and prime, if you’re not hearing that then there is no fuel. Hunt down where the disconnect/fault is at… if you’re hearing the pump then you have fue and move towards the engine and look at ignition.

There is a switch inside the driver's kick panel that when triggered will shut off fuel. It is in the event of a rollover or hard crash. Some folks have triggered this switch in odd ways. It's a simple check when there is a no fuel situation.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Understood. Fuel cut off inertia switch. Always thought that was triggered by an impact.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Have experienced the damaged FPDM relay in the trunk issue myself. Worth the time to check that's it's operational. You can verify whether it's working or not by taking out the back seat and reaching back put your hand on the pump when cranking. If you don't feel it prime/hum; next check is the relay.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back