JDM Engineering Tests the All New Kooks Super Street Headers!!

Nick@JDM

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all. Here is a quick write up Team JDM did about the All New Kooks Super Street Headers that were just released by Kooks Custom Headers. (install write-up to follow)

When it comes to increasing horsepower with a performance exhaust set-up on the 5.0L Coyote motor, nothing compares to a quality set of long tube headers.......UNTIL NOW.
Kooks Custom Headers now offers their all new Super Street OEM Connection Headers for the 2011+ Mustang GT/BOSS 302. These headers are designed with performance in mind. The OEM manifolds that “look like” a nice header design actually falls short on flow. Once the stock manifolds are removed, it is easily noticed how the 2-3/4 connection chokes down to about 2-1/2 in the OEM collector and the 1-3/4 primary tubes are in a try-y configuration. The try-y configuration is not optimal for high flow due to the multiple bottle necks before the exhaust gases reach the collector. Kooks Super Street Headers maintain the 2-3/4 connection right into the collector for increase air flow and more horsepower. Combine this with the one-piece, 1-7/8 primaries and you have one high performance street header.
When examining some competitors “shorty” headers, a few key flaws were discovered in their design. As seen here

580280_10151478686145139_329637586_n.jpg

on the Competitor’s shorty headers, the multi-piece tube design is not carefully welded. You can clearly see how the pipes are poorly aligned ultimately hampering exhaust flow. Another quality issue noticed is how the primaries align in the collector. As seen here

8358_10151478684810139_1451566896_n.jpg

each primary ends in the collector at a different length. This incorrect alignment will negatively affect the efficiency of exhaust savaging in the collector. Finally, the welds on the header flange are not smoothed out on the Competitor’s headers. Bumps and protrusions here will create turbulence in the primary tubes and maximum performance will not be achieved.
In comparison, Kooks did not miss any details on their Super Street Headers during the design process. See here

1646_10151473249120139_1575674918_n.jpg

how the Kooks 1-7/8 primary tubes are a one-piece smooth design. This is what a performance primary tube should look like. Notice how all of the primary tubes sit evenly in the 2-3/4 collector for maximum flow.

72365_10151422696585139_403414329_n.jpg

Finally, Kooks took the time to smooth out the welds on the header flange so there is little to no turbulence when the exhaust pulse leaves the engine.

574902_10151422696525139_279415873_n.jpg

When the exhaust valves on your Coyote open, you can be sure that there is nothing holding your engine back with the all new Kooks Super Street headers!

And then there was weight savings…huh? Yes that’s right. We weighed all three sets of headers just because we can, and what we found was rather interesting. The stock manifolds weighed in at a total of 18lbs. The Competitor’s shorty headers weighed in at 21.4lbs. And, wait for it…The Kooks Super Street Headers weighted in at only 15.2 lbs!! That’s nearly a 3lb weight savings over stock and over 6lb lighter than the competition! While this might not seem like much, we know that every pound counts to you track junkies.

Now, you must all be wondering by now how these headers perform in some real world testing….Numbers! We want numbers! And we know you do! Thanks to JDM Engineering in Freehold, NJ numbers you will have my friends. JDM Engineering tested the Kooks Super Street Headers on a 2012 Mustang GT. Base line runs (run file 02) were done with a Steeda CAI, GT500 mufflers and JDM Tune. All other power train components remained stock. In run file 04, all factors remained unchanged with the addition of the Kooks Super Street Headers. On run file 05 the high flow H-pipe was added.

Initial testing of these headers showed an increase of 10 rear wheel horsepower and 8 foot pounds of torque at peak, and an average of 14 rear wheel horsepower and 13 foot pounds of torque in the mid range!! Not too bad for being hooked up the STOCK mid-pipe and catalytic converters. When combining the Kooks Super Street Headers with a high flow H-Pipe, JDM recorded an increase of 8 rear wheel horsepower and 10 foot pounds of torque at peak and even more (10-15) in the mid-range power band!! Add these figures up and you’ll see a gain of nearly 20 wheel horsepower and 23 foot pounds at peak and 25 horsepower and 30 foot pounds in the mid-range!! Now you’re in long tube header power gains!!

602131_10151478674070139_564201452_n.png

So…why not buy a set of long tube headers? Long tube headers are great, but they do not meet the goals of every person trying the squeeze every last drop of power out of their Mustang. Let’s say you want your Mustang to be a daily driver or weekend warrior, be competitive at your local track and still pass emissions in your area when the time comes. With even a high flow catted mid-pipe, many of the 2011+ cars will still have a hard time passing an OBDII emissions test even with proper tuning to avoid a CEL. Kooks now offers a cost effective way around this problem. The Super Street headers allow you to easily change your high flow mid-pipe, used for off road use, for a stock catted mid-pipe for every day street use. With proper tuning, your Mustang will not have issues when it comes to inspection time eather. If this where a long tube header car and you have issues passing inspection, removing the headers will dampen your weekend if you are a driveway warrior, or burn a hole in your packet if you are paying someone labor for uninstall and reinstallation of the long tube headers.

Either way you look at it, the All New Kook Super Street OEM Connection headers and a great way at add horsepower safely and legally to your 2011+ Mustang GT or BOSS 302!!

**JDM Engineering will be the first to have these new Headers from Kooks. Call us to pre-order starting 3/27/13 and ask about our new product release pricing!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/JDM-Engineering/121068375138

Last edited:

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Hey don't point out flaws. People get upset when the truth comes out LOL. First set is pretty bad. Multiple sugaring issues from lack of back purging or solar flux. I know Kooks fluxes like I do in the collectors. With the difference in weight I'm guessing it's a 14ga header under a company that's Hecho in Mexico. I didn't know they made shorties. Eh.
Clear difference in a builders eye though.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey don't point out flaws. People get upset when the truth comes out LOL. First set is pretty bad. Multiple sugaring issues from lack of back purging or solar flux. I know Kooks fluxes like I do in the collectors. With the difference in weight I'm guessing it's a 14ga header under a company that's Hecho in Mexico. I didn't know they made shorties. Eh.
Clear difference in a builders eye though.

These are a heavy gauge stainless and are made right here in the good ole' US of A! Actually Kooks is one of the only headers who still manufactures in the US. Alot of companies out source to China :/ The weight savings comes from being one single piece primaries instead of cut and chopped tubes like the stock and other companies headers shown.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
too bad kooks didn't put a merge spike in the collector. It might have helped a little with the problem that the end collector flange covers up half of 3 of the primaries. I would have thought kooks would have tried to make a long collector and shorter primaries to try and unshroud those openings.

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
stupid question...I assume you high flow h-pipe is an off-road pipe (No cats)... or is it an high flow aftermarket set of cats?

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
too bad kooks didn't put a merge spike in the collector. It might have helped a little with the problem that the end collector flange covers up half of 3 of the primaries. I would have thought kooks would have tried to make a long collector and shorter primaries to try and unshroud those openings.

Take a look at the headers from the side, there is a collector. The way this photo was taking is misleading. The flange doesn't cover up half of three of the primaries. They're centered.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
These are a heavy gauge stainless and are made right here in the good ole' US of A! Actually Kooks is one of the only headers who still manufactures in the US. Alot of companies out source to China :/ The weight savings comes from being one single piece primaries instead of cut and chopped tubes like the stock and other companies headers shown.

Nah, cutting and pasting every primary won't add 3lbs. Kooks uses 16ga material. The other I'm guessing is jba, they use 14ga. What I meant was I think that's the difference in wieght.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The length of the collector wouldn't allow for the merge spike. We actually said the same thing ourselves. But the proof is in the pudding. These headers make POWAHH!!!!

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
stupid question...I assume you high flow h-pipe is an off-road pipe (No cats)... or is it an high flow aftermarket set of cats?

:yes1: legally speaking,we prefer to call them high flow ;)

smoken1986

forum member
Reaction score
How does the sound of these compare to long tubes. I am missing that sound on the 5.0 that I had with the 3v and lt's.

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How does the sound of these compare to long tubes. I am missing that sound on the 5.0 that I had with the 3v and lt's.

The headers give off more of a scavenging sound you can hear at idle and will help increase the tone of the car at wide open too. Its not a huge difference like when you delete the cats or install aftermarket mufflers but as the driver of the car, you will hear a change!

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As of this weekend we have 6 sets sold. Down to the Final Four!! Call us today at 732-780-0770.

Don's Stang

Reaction score
Looks like a great option for those of us in states that are tough on emmisions

Any testing on blown applications yet, and is there a coated option?

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We will be testing these on a blower car in a couple of weeks, when we get our order in. Also Kooks is releasing a high flow H pipe that we are testing too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back