Just out of curiosity....

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Are there any sixxers on the boards running NA upgrading just their heads, cams, or both? If so, what were you looking at as far as gains? Also, which set would you go with: Morana or SSM? I know PH used to make them, but I left them out because I don't believe they do anymore. And BBR's site says that they're coming, but it's been saying that for a year at least.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Are there any sixxers on the boards running NA upgrading just their heads, cams, or both? If so, what were you looking at as far as gains? Also, which set would you go with: Morana or SSM? I know PH used to make them, but I left them out because I don't believe they do anymore. And BBR's site says that they're coming, but it's been saying that for a year at least.

there's a few companies doing Cologne V6 heads and cams, especially for the Rangers/Expoders. If it were me I'd go s/c and not mess with any n/a stuff. You can do it n/a, but bang for buck the s/c is bolt on, 300-350-ish hp and go.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
But hasn't relatively nice gains been seen from using just heads/cams, especially from GT's? Not to mention the gains when combined with F/I.

yes, nice gains with cams, exhaust, intake on the GT. But since you asked about the V6 I responded with that.

There aren't as many parts made for the 4.0 V6. Although alot more of them were sold than the GT they don't tend to be as modified as the GTs. Would you rather start w/300 hp or 210 ? There are some parts available for the 4.0 from the off road guys who mod their Rangers/Explorers. But not near as many as the 4.6 V8. Consequently the 4.0 parts are quite expensive and the bang for your buck isn't the same. A 10% gain on 210 hp as opposed to 300, see ?

A couple cnc heads, a couple cams and headers and you're over $3,000 for maybe 50 hp. $3,000-$4,000 for a s/c and you're over 300 hp with no other modifications. Plus the low end torque from an s/c is way more than the top end power from heads/cam/intake. Which is what you want for everyday driving.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
yes, nice gains with cams, exhaust, intake on the GT. But since you asked about the V6 I responded with that.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I've always wondered why these were never made available for the 4.0. True, companies look towards the GT as the money maker as far as modding and making big HP, but one would think that with as many modded V6's as there are out on the street, and the interest in making the 6 serious competition, there would be almost equal parts available. Even for those (like myself) looking to go the S/C route.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I've always wondered why these were never made available for the 4.0. True, companies look towards the GT as the money maker as far as modding and making big HP, but one would think that with as many modded V6's as there are out on the street, and the interest in making the 6 serious competition, there would be almost equal parts available. Even for those (like myself) looking to go the S/C route.

there's quite a few CAIs for the sixer. Don't buy one that doesn't require a tune or you'll get no hp gains. Buy a cai, look for a new or used SCT 2 or 3, or a predator. They have V6, V8 tunes in them for a cai. A 91 or 93 octane tune with a cai will give you a real boost in hp. You really can feel it.

The stock exhaust manifolds are actually extremely efficient so shorty headers will give 0 gain. Go with long tubes or nothing.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a mistake that I made. I went with the Airaid CAI because I saw that it didn't require a tune. I also was under the impression that the venturi system came in both the GT and V6 systems. Boy was I mistaken. Since then, I got a tuner (SCT) so maybe along with duals. So maybe there was a gain with the CAI, but I know for a fact that the 91 tune put some nice oomph in the car.
But what I was referring to was more supercharger options for the 6. We have the X, procharger, and vortech. I've heard nothing but good things in regards to the 6, but it kinda sucks that other companies like Roush, FRPP, Saleen, etc...seem to be exclusively for the GT. I love my 6, but you're right on point when you said we're limited. The main reason I'm seriously considering trading up.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Carroll Shelby, he has a line of sixers, Terlingua racing, so does Steeda QS6 or something like that.

I did true duals on my wifes car. I bought a Pypes conversion less mufflers (had them from my GT) for about $200. The X-pipe in the Pypes, and the 2.5" with the GT take offs really has a nice sound. I had Violators on it first, the drone would drive you right out of the car.

I like our sixer enough that we kept it and bought a GT. For an all around nice driving car the V6 is extremely nice. Much more comfy than the GT. Better clutch, easier to shift and still has plenty of acceleration.

Can't go wrong with either car really.

Yeah, that was a mistake that I made. I went with the Airaid CAI because I saw that it didn't require a tune. I also was under the impression that the venturi system came in both the GT and V6 systems. Boy was I mistaken. Since then, I got a tuner (SCT) so maybe along with duals. So maybe there was a gain with the CAI, but I know for a fact that the 91 tune put some nice oomph in the car.
But what I was referring to was more supercharger options for the 6. We have the X, procharger, and vortech. I've heard nothing but good things in regards to the 6, but it kinda sucks that other companies like Roush, FRPP, Saleen, etc...seem to be exclusively for the GT. I love my 6, but you're right on point when you said we're limited. The main reason I'm seriously considering trading up.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the cars driveability with suffer going the heads/ cam route. Just go the FI route and you will have more power and stock driveability.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the cars driveability with suffer going the heads/ cam route. Just go the FI route and you will have more power and stock driveability.
This is the first time I've heard this. I'm not trying to be an ass, I really don't know but how would heads/cam negatively affect the car?

maverickwolfe

forum member
Reaction score
I did true duals on my wifes car. I bought a Pypes conversion less mufflers (had them from my GT) for about $200.
where'd you find that? I know lots of guys that will virtually GIVE me GT takeoffs but I haven't been able to find that conversion minus the mufflers.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
In the money you would spend to do heads/cams or fi you could do a V8 swap and be able to mod for even more power in the future. All you have to do is search you can find some pretty good deals on drivetrains.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
where'd you find that? I know lots of guys that will virtually GIVE me GT takeoffs but I haven't been able to find that conversion minus the mufflers.

ebay, it took a while looking, but I found a guy with the Pypes conversions for $250-ish. They're $299 or so new. I sent him a message and offered him $200 for his system without mufflers.

All you really need is the X and 2 over axle pipes and the clamps. Cut the Y out, the 2.5" pipes slide right over the 2 1/4" pipes you've cut off. Install the 2 new 2.5" over axle pipes, hook up your mufflers and you're done.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score

This is the first time I've heard this. I'm not trying to be an ass, I really don't know but how would heads/cam negatively affect the car?

he speaks the truth. To get more hp out of the stock 4.0 with heads and cams you will gain most your hp with more rpms. For street driving you won't want to be wringing your engine out in it's rev band all the time. A s/c will give you lots more torque down low with more hp across the rev range.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a procharger when i get back to the States. Just looking to see if there were any sixxers on the boards who did just heads/cams and their experiences.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

What tweedle dumb was trying to say is those mods will push your power range up high, meaning you will have to be pushing the car around the street more than you normally would to feel any oomph, a loss of low end power on a 200hp car is MUCH more noticable than a loss of torque on a 300-400hp car... basically if you start feeling your power kick in at 4000-5000rpm your car is going to feel like a dog on the street :beer:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Also, with heads/cams, if you get an aggressive enough cam, you will have low vacuum issues, which really affects the drivability in day to day traffic. This is probably what Germeezy was referring too. The heads won't really cause this by themselves, but to take advantage of the higher flowing heads, you need deeper cams. Don't know if you've ever driven around in a cammed out car before, but you get into stop and go traffic and life gets frustrating VERY fast.

S/C and go. No issues like the built top end.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a procharger when i get back to the States. Just looking to see if there were any sixxers on the boards who did just heads/cams and their experiences.

good deal, procharger, you'll be happy. Lots of V6 procharged people and cars around. Not so many on this board, but other forums maybe ? I think there's a f/i V6 board somewhere ? I dunno, you'll be OK here too. Lots of good info and people who know shit, I mean real shit not what color neons to put under a 98 cavalier.

bronxbomba63

forum member
Reaction score
Also, with heads/cams, if you get an aggressive enough cam, you will have low vacuum issues, which really affects the drivability in day to day traffic. This is probably what Germeezy was referring too. The heads won't really cause this by themselves, but to take advantage of the higher flowing heads, you need deeper cams. Don't know if you've ever driven around in a cammed out car before, but you get into stop and go traffic and life gets frustrating VERY fast.

S/C and go. No issues like the built top end.
Damn, I'm glad I started this thread.....yeah I don't think I'll be doing heads/cams any time soon or ever for that matter. If I were to have done it, from reading everybody's posts it's a good thing I live around Amarillo (no stop/go traffic).

good deal, procharger, you'll be happy. Lots of V6 procharged people and cars around. Not so many on this board, but other forums maybe ? I think there's a f/i V6 board somewhere ? I dunno, you'll be OK here too. Lots of good info and people who know shit, I mean real shit not what color neons to put under a 98 cavalier.
LMAO!!!! :chairfall:But yeah, the collective and MF i believe have F/I boards.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back