Labor prices on motor swap?

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I’ve recently came across some issues with my 3v motor. Running strange at low rpms. Diagnostic tests from a shop says fuel trims look different bank to bank. He shot me an estimate of changing out timing components, springs/retainers, and labor and it think it’s a little high(nearly $2400). I’m thinking it might be less of an issue to swap the motor out for another stock 3v. How much money does it usually cost in labor only to do a motor swap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Was anything else done before suggesting a top end rebuild? Like new O2 sensors. Or maybe new plugs.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Was anything else done before suggesting a top end rebuild? Like new O2 sensors. Or maybe new plugs.

I think that was the next step for him to try. Honestly with the bill he sent me it was extremely high. I’ll post a pic after this reply without the shop name and info to keep them safe.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
b18bc8ce81ee0963f2317f8e360aef47.jpg

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Find a new shop. The stuff I asked about comes long before internal engine work. I'm assuming you have a stock engine. So you have no need for phaser limiters. This guy is a hack. Run away. Quickly.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Find a new shop. The stuff I asked about comes long before internal engine work. I'm assuming you have a stock engine. So you have no need for phaser limiters. This guy is a hack. Run away. Quickly.

Shame. When I was looking for a shop nobody had a bad word to say about them. Now that my car is there everybody is running them thru the mud. Thanks for your help.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Prices on parts looks fine, not sure why people are having an issue there. What's the shop labor rate? If it's around $110 or so, honestly doesn't seem that off either. Valve springs can take awhile.

Just ask about doing plugs and sensors first, nothing wrong with that. Also he may have found something with VCT angles to suggest going straight to that. Lots of info left out and jumping to conclusions.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Prices on parts looks fine, not sure why people are having an issue there. What's the shop labor rate? If it's around $110 or so, honestly doesn't seem that off either. Valve springs can take awhile.

Just ask about doing plugs and sensors first, nothing wrong with that. Also he may have found something with VCT angles to suggest going straight to that. Lots of info left out and jumping to conclusions.
I’ve received almost no info and for the location, the price seems a bit much. He’s taken two weeks to go for a drive in the car and do some testing that took less than 3 hours. He hasn’t mentioned doing plugs or o2 sensors either. I think I’m just gonna do a motor swap anyway. Seems like too much money for what I’ll get.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, he thinks you stock motor needs valve springs and phaser limiters?

I would take it to a different shop for a resl diagnosis.

What is the car doing actually?

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
So, he thinks you stock motor needs valve springs and phaser limiters?

I would take it to a different shop for a resl diagnosis.

What is the car doing actually?
Jumping and acting weird at lower rpms, my guess is something in timing chain components.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
pulling and swapping a motor out is 1200-1500 IMO, depending on geography

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
pulling and swapping a motor out is 1200-1500 IMO, depending on geography
Thanks. I think best route is for me and a buddy to swap the buddy and pay what little diagnostic fees I’ve got from this shop.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score

The prices aren't bad. But the shop is recommending parts he doesn't need. A stock engine doesn't need aftermarket springs and limiters. There are a few steps that should be taken before tearing into the engine.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
The prices aren't bad. But the shop is recommending parts he doesn't need. A stock engine doesn't need aftermarket springs and limiters. There are a few steps that should be taken before tearing into the engine.

Yeah and that’s never a good sign for a performance shop. Which I why I made a phone call this morning and just gonna do the engine swap myself and be done with it. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with this other 3v than I did mine.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah and that’s never a good sign for a performance shop. Which I why I made a phone call this morning and just gonna do the engine swap myself and be done with it. Hopefully I’ll have more luck with this other 3v than I did mine.

So you haven't tried anything else yet and you're going to jump right to swapping the engine?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It could something as simple as front O2 sensors, or exhaust not tightened enough, etc.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
What are the compression test results? How does the car run WOT? A difference in fuel trims could be vacuum leak.
Why don't you start with a 2nd opinion, you're basing your decision to replace the engine on a price from a shop you don't trust.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
The car is throwing some crank/cam position codes, as well as a few others off hand. The usual fix is alternator/battery/charge cable. Other fixes are vct solenoids and plugs. Well I’ve already done all of that and the only other thing it could be is timing chain components. Now this is expected and I’ve known it would probably be this. If the quote from the shop was only what I need instead of anything else valvetrain that we haven’t discussed then it’d be fine but it’s not. The ticket he ran is way too expensive and there’s multiple motors around my location for around 900-1100.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back