Light weight brakes ?

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
On my 2005, mustang GT, I am trying to build a lighter Street/strip car. I have already purchased a Rocksolid chromoly tube front end, plan on running, drag skinny tires, upfront, and Mickey Thompson tires on the back… Along with VMS racing wheels. While, I haven’t purchased some of these things, I also plan on going to manual steering and manual brakes. Outside of strange Engineering, Wilwood and others, has anyone retrofitted brakes from a different car? The strange engineering stuff is super nice but very expensive. Just looking for ideas.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
IMO if you are going to these extremes to build a drag strip car, then it is no longer suitable for the street.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I wouldn't run drag brakes or brakes from a lighter car on the street. Been there. They suck. They do not have the mass to absorb heat very well and overheat and fade on the street.

JC SSP

Reaction score
The old saying of “how fast do you want to go and how much are you willing to spend$$$$” goes the same for braking and handling.

Unless you’re repeatedly running 9-10s at insane MPH any decent set of upgraded GT500 brakes will haul you down. If you plan on doing auto cross or road racing then there are other more advanced options.

Dallas281

Reaction score
Imo keep the stock gt brakes if ur going for 3000lbs or less and still drive outside the tracks. Drag brakes should only ever be used for the strip. Sure the gt500 / s550 brembo upgrade stops way better but they add a lot of weight. If you've cut 500+lbs the stock brakes with better pads and rotors I'd think would still stop you pretty well. If your aiming for 10sec passes or better and still gonna run on the street then biting the 'bullit' for the 6pot calipers is smart. Foureyes on youtube recently did the conversion but there are tons of forums on the matter.

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
Thanks Dallas281. I’m looking to pull 250lbs off the front. Might not get there but with a tube front end, manual steering, manual brakes, chromoly k member and control arms, drag wheels and skinnies up front, battery relocation and ….I should come close.

Dallas281

Reaction score
I def think that is achievable. To save weight:
AC unit is 40lbs
aftermarket k member saves 20lbs
bmr rad support 10lbs
Delete front sway bar saves 25lbs
JPC bumper supports saves 20lbs
bmr adjustable motor mounts save 4lbs which you'll probably need for the k member
lightweight battery can save 10-20lbs or relocate to the rear
An aftermarket clutch and such can save you 10lbs
the front leather seats weigh like 45lbs each (delete passenger side and run a lighter driver seat, sparco evo L weighs 20lbs)
depending on coilovers you can save 10+lbs.

Adding it all up your over 200lbs and thats before new wheels!
Careful with aftermarket hoods, tons of carbon fiber parts are reinforced with fiberglass and for the straight fiberglass parts, they actually weigh more than the stock 05-09 hoods. I know you can get carbon fiber front fenders and hood but confirm they are actually lighter. Good luck!

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
Dallas281
I def think that is achievable. To save weight:
AC unit is 40lbs
aftermarket k member saves 20lbs
bmr rad support 10lbs
Delete front sway bar saves 25lbs
JPC bumper supports saves 20lbs
bmr adjustable motor mounts save 4lbs which you'll probably need for the k member
lightweight battery can save 10-20lbs or relocate to the rear
An aftermarket clutch and such can save you 10lbs
the front leather seats weigh like 45lbs each (delete passenger side and run a lighter driver seat, sparco evo L weighs 20lbs)
depending on coilovers you can save 10+lbs.

Adding it all up your over 200lbs and thats before new wheels!
Careful with aftermarket hoods, tons of carbon fiber parts are reinforced with fiberglass and for the straight fiberglass parts, they actually weigh more than the stock 05-09 hoods. I know you can get carbon fiber front fenders and hood but confirm they are actually lighter. Good luck

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
Great thoughts, suggestions, and recommendations. I hope to have my motor and bad trans (have a motor and trans to replace) out by Tuesday… then things start happening quicker.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back