Looking for a DIY on deleting the Pony stock grill

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for a DIY on deleting the Pony on the stock grill

Some guy cut out the pony then melted a honeycomb section to fill the space. I think he may have sanded it and painted it. He took had great pics of the whole thing.

I've searched this here and on other forums. I can't seem to locate it. Please help,

Gerardo

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually that was Me...
I made the PonyLess Grille.

scott1.jpg

scott4.jpg

scott7.jpg

Grille001.jpg

I used a Soidering iron to melt the seams, then I sanded them smooth, to finish off the rough edges I used an emery board, that polished the plastic to a nice shine. I did not need to paint it but I wanted the grill a bit darker to I did. It took a weekend to do, you need to be patient fitting the peices into the grille, I used a Band Saw the trim the peices till they fit snug then tacked them in with the iron.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Mustang gods be praised!!! You found me!!!

I know you were considering charging for these. Did you ever decide? I'm actually pretty good polishing aluminum. Can I use the same methods to finish off the grill? Start with something really rough and work towards 2000 grit? Maybe finish with a wet sand? In my little experience with plastics, black plastics always turns a light gray color when sanded with any grit. I've used something as fine as 2000 grit and still get crumby results. Also, what piece did you use to replace the center? The side of another GT grill or V6?
Thanks,

Gerardo

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mustang gods be praised!!! You found me!!!

I know you were considering charging for these. Did you ever decide? I'm actually pretty good polishing aluminum. Can I use the same methods to finish off the grill? Start with something really rough and work towards 2000 grit? Maybe finish with a wet sand? In my little experience with plastics, black plastics always turns a light gray color when sanded with any grit. I've used something as fine as 2000 grit and still get crumby results. Also, what piece did you use to replace the center? The side of another GT grill or V6?
Thanks,

Gerardo

Unfortunatly the V6 Grille honey comb is a different size so I had to cut the side sections from a GT Grille, from the Fog light to the pony.

Use an emery board for finger nails to finely sand then finish it up with a nail polishing board (My wife was pissed that I used her 20.00 nail kit for this) LOL I bought her another one..

I might consider making one for you. PM me

Last edited:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I have everything to make this happen but the soldering iron tool. I have the iron but I'm sure it's a different piece to melt, flatten, shape, etc...

Can you post pics or links of what you did? What would you charge me if I gave you the grill(s)?
Thanks,

Gerardo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back