Lowes cabinets

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start redoing our kitchen and am thinking about having lowes custom make cabinets. I'm wondering if anybody has ever used them in your house and how well you like them, how we'll they've held up and so on? I'm not sure I want to go this route or save some money and go to a liquidator type store. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I'd say that's all in your budget and what you're hoping to achieve.
If it were me, I wouldn't skimp on a kitchen remodel.
Of all rooms in your home, the kitchen is the busiest place...and offers the biggest return on your remodel investment.

I'd be buying cabinets from a cabinet shop...like I've done before.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is probably nothing wrong with going that route as I have found that sometime the guys Lowes and Home Depot contract out to are sometimes cheaper than their competitors. Don't know about the quality of work though.

I'd consider the feasibility of stock cabinets with custom doors, doing the finish work and installing them yourself. You'll save a ton of money that way too.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try to PM Vinny Barber here, as I recall he owns a cabinet company down the holla in KY

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Ill probably go to a few cabinet shops and see what the prices there look like, I've got a few things from the cabinet shops here and they took a lot longer than what it should have to get the stuff done is my only reason with thinking about lowes.

There's some stock cabinets at the liquidator store that I like and the prices seem really nice I've just got to find time to go get them to setup a layout and cost list.

Thanks Dave, ill send him a pm and see where he is

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I will probably get flamed for this, but have you considered IKEA? I don't know what type of kitchen you are redoing, or how big, or your budget, but I feel like this should be an option to check out. You can usually get almost exactly what you want, how you want. I feel like their stuff is affordable, yet still quality.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lowe's and HD don't use employees for stuff like that, it's all subcontracted out to local businesses. I'd find out who they use and check with that company directly. When I was looking for a garage door, Lowe's was about twice as much as a local independent contractor for the same door and installation.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
The only problem about ikea is I don't think they have one in ky.

I know they use local contractors to hang the cabinets and do stuff like that but I think the cabinets are made by the actual cabinet company not the local company's

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i redid my kicthen with home deport prefab units. they do they job. they're obviously not going be the nicest or best quality, but i didn't have the $ as the option. they have worked well for almost a year now. just make sure you test fit everything first to make sure it all works.

if you want pics i can get them for you in by the end of the night.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I did HD cabinets about 10 years ago and now wish I could have afforded better. They looked good then but they have not aged well. The light tan wood has turned yellow and the counter tops have a dingy look that won't clean off. But they work for now.

07DarkHorse

forum member
Reaction score
Lowe's and HD don't use employees for stuff like that, it's all subcontracted out to local businesses. I'd find out who they use and check with that company directly. When I was looking for a garage door, Lowe's was about twice as much as a local independent contractor for the same door and installation.

Was going to say almost the same thing. Except for me it was tile. Home Depot was more expensive than the business that actually did the job.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
My parents had Lowes do the cabinets in their house. They look great and have been there for several years no problems at all.

While yes, Lowes does contract out these jobs, I never had much luck getting the company to come outside of Lowe's. Reason being they were too busy doing contract work for Lowe's. Generally it's easier to get them to do work for you outside of Lowe's/Home Depot after you've done a contract job.. This isn't saying they won't but this is my experience in the situation.

Last edited:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
I bought an unfinished oak from Lowes, and did all my own finishing and hanging, turned out good, and the cabinets have been great so far, about a year ago.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I used lowes off the shelf cabinets in my first house...like any cabinet you can always add some crown to spice them up alittle. I'll say while they weren't GREAT, they weren't bad either...especially considering what I started with.

Like people have said, for the custom stuff they use local companies but of course as a business, also need to make a profit. I'd get a quote from a few places (lowes and HD included) and go from there...

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
If you go custom, with a cabinet shop, get ready to pay out the butt!

balls8302

Reaction score
I'm a general contractor and we are subcontracted with lowes. we do A LOT of kitchen remodels with lowes. as others have said, you get what you pay for. we've done cabinet jobs from simple to custom, from a couple grand all the way up to 30k just for cabs and counter tops. lowes does offer some very nice cabinets. kraftmade is probably the most popular sold around my parts and are very solid cabinets. here's how the process will go:

you'll go to store and pay for a "detail" which is basically when a contractor comes to your home and measures the basic dimensions of the room(existing appliance layout, ceiling height, wall length..etc)

measurements back go back to store, and then the store employee does a general layout.

then all the details will be sorted, brand, style, color, finish and so on

fairly smooth process. and speaking from lots of experience, double and triple check on delivery day that all pieces that are on your shipping papers are actually delivered. the contractor doing the install should be there when your product arrives to check it all in, and if something is missing will contact your sales person.

kitchen remodels are probably my favorite sort of job. so much change can happen in so little space when compared to old/new kitchens cabinets.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back