Mid-mount muffler setups-how's the drone?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The research I did indicated the extra overall ( excess) loudness came from the high flow catted H..and not the JBA LT's. As far as the drone, my guess is the combo of the LT's + high flow catted H.

The FRS-500S are guaranteed drone free.... provided the rest of the exhaust is oem.

Ehhhh. I get a little bit, but only at very specific RPMs and under load. It rarely happens, so it's a nonissue, but it still occurs.

If you do get some drone, it might be at 1900-2100 rpm, and going up an incline, hill, or steep hill. That would really put a good load on the eng. It's a good muffler, albeit expensive.

Changing midpipes can greatly affect tone and volume so I would think most of the drone is coming from the high flow H pipe.

This is one of the better sounding setups. Made me think about switching to an H.

My problem with an X is... they typ sound too raspy. The H sounds better imo, and slightly more tq down low. The X provides more tq / hp at the upper end. Use whatever combo you want, but you have to live with it. One thing tooling around town, or on the hwy for short trips. But on a longer trip, the exhaust can sound tedious. Folks will typ speed up..or slow down a bit, to keep the rpm out of the drone.... 'rpm window'.

Mufflers like the FR500S are tuned for the "OEM" exhaust ( stock catted H) Even Corsa has stated they cannot guarantee their mufflers will be drone free once the stock cats have been replaced with aftermarket O/R or high-flow catted mid sections.. IMHO this would appear to make sense, as once the amount of airflow becomes less restrictive, the exhaust note increases and becomes louder which in turn also increases the sound frequency levels for producing interior resonance drone as well.. My problem with the Borla S-types, is they droned even with the "OEM" catted H still in place and has only gotten louder since adding the Mac O/R pro chamber between 1500-2000 RPM when under load while driving around town and also when sitting at idle in traffic.. Only when not under load, is when the drone isn't nearly as bad and is more tolerable.. Therefore it would seem that by adding a high-flow catted H with Borla S-types isn't going to do much of anything as far as getting rid of drone is concerned when not even the "OEM" catted H made any difference.. However I would like to keep the S-types as I really like the overall sound they provide.. At any rate, it would appear that my only option for getting rid of the interior resonance drone which more than likely is from the Borla S-types, is look into adding mid mounted resonators which actually cancel out the sound frequencies that produce drone such as the Solo performance exhaust system I've been doing research on :shrug:

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I've been fiddling around with different exhaust setups for awhile now. The constants are Comp 127400 cams, Pypes longtubes, and offroad H.

First was Ford Racing Stingers, they sounded great but droned on the highway/cruising. One thing I didn't care for was how muffled the exhaust pulses were, couldn't even hear the cams lope. It was weird.

I swapped them out for FR500S and there was zero drone but the car was very noisy for me, especially at WOT. Sounded like a NASCAR race lol. They emitted an incredibly crisp and deep sound and you could certainly hear the lope from the cams.

Leaving the FR500S out back, I added a pair of Magnaflow race bullets (aka Magnapacks) to the OTA's about 6 inches from where the H pipe ended. This sound was very good, incredibly deep (would shake/vibrate the walls at the shop when I was warming it up), could still hear the lope, and while cruising it was great. I actually felt this got a touch louder inside, but only the SLIGHTEST bit. The noise level at WOT was reduced a little but not much, cruise was much much better however and most of all pretty much no rasp. I was worried about them not passing sound tech at a local road course so I ultimately shelved them.

I then found a deal on some SSS Adrenaline axle backs and decided to give them a shot. My one regret before this was never trying the Stingers out with the "resonators" before I sold them. The SSS is louder than the Stingers and when paired with resonators does not drone at all cruising down the road. Extremely pleased with how it sounds, except I still feel they are a little too muffled, again like the pulses are just kinda mushed together. Also can't really hear the car lope as much as the FR500S setup.

At this point I'm on the hunt for either MBRP Pro Series or Bassani Race/Sport/whatever they call it. I think the Bassani's are what I am looking for based on some Youtube clips so far. If anyone has firsthand experience with the MBRP or Bassani along with the Stingers, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Speed I run MBRP and love them to death! They sound incredible. Deep and crisp. No drone and your foot controls the volume. Can be loud or nice enough to roll through the neighborhood. Had borla stingers before and way too loud and droned. You can really hear the cams chop too. I know what you mean by the muffled cam lope with the stingers.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just re-bought MBRP's for my car, that was the first axle back I had on the car and I wanted to try them again (I love the Touring axle back I have but it just muffles everything so much at idle). I'll have to see how they are, I put them on the car a week ago just to see how they sounded and idle is amazing but they're a touch loud. Might have to get resonators/mid mufflers back under there.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I just re-bought MBRP's for my car, that was the first axle back I had on the car and I wanted to try them again (I love the Touring axle back I have but it just muffles everything so much at idle). I'll have to see how they are, I put them on the car a week ago just to see how they sounded and idle is amazing but they're a touch loud. Might have to get resonators/mid mufflers back under there.
Yeah still a wee bit loud for me at times. I have pypes m80's I'm going to weld or bolt in after the H.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Yeah still a wee bit loud for me at times. I have pypes m80's I'm going to weld or bolt in after the H.

Let me know when you guys add the resonators, as then it'll be exactly what I would be listening to. I dragged my feet and missed a screaming deal on a set locally. Now I'm pissed and on the hunt once again lol.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know when you guys add the resonators, as then it'll be exactly what I would be listening to. I dragged my feet and missed a screaming deal on a set locally. Now I'm pissed and on the hunt once again lol.
Hahaha you got it man. Hey if you're on some of the facebook pages I know a guy who has that set up already on a B326 procharged. I think his name is Shane. Sounds really good. I've talked to him about them a lot which is why I got them. Just waiting on free time between working, going to school part time in the evenings for a Mechanical engineer degree which is killing me lol and my wife finishing her masters degree, and running around after my son. I'm waiting on the time to just put in my BMR LCA's and relo brackets, just got a pair of koni orange rear shocks from a pal and steeda ultralite springs to replace the crap SR springs from American Muscle, and my CMDP's. all my car funds went bye bye after medical bills for my wife and son :(. But they are all good now so I'm happy.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Missed a deal on resonators?

I'll do a vid eventually but it might be awhile. I'm planning on replacing my headers this winter at some point, but I haven't bought them yet and it'll probably be a couple months.

I had resonators on my car before, but only with a chambered axle back and with the Touring axle back. Took them off last winter but I still have the original pipes with them.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
On facebook just search MBRP in the search bar and It will be in S197 Forum there. It's my post trying to find him lol. My name is James and its a picture of my wife and I. Date was October 11th 2017. His name is Shane.

Only main difference is he has the 3" cat back system and we are 2.5". But should give you a good idea. You can add me on there if you'd like.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Pypes M80's, new, are just $44.00 each at American Muscle. Made from 304 SS.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I will NEVER buy anything Pypes again. Their so called "Stainless" shit rusts bad in no time. Their SS headers turned BLUE on me....yea, like chromed headers do.

And Pypes' CS blows.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I will NEVER buy anything Pypes again. Their so called "Stainless" shit rusts bad in no time. Their SS headers turned BLUE on me....yea, like chromed headers do.

And Pypes' CS blows.

I have had my Pypes M80 resonators (flanges cut off both ends, and welded in) for several years now, not a speck of rust anywhere on them. I check them fairly often, and use the car all year round.
I have zero experience with any of their other products. They are located just b4 the axles.

RedGt

Reaction score
Have mid mufflers and the fr500s axle back mufflers. Nice deep tone not to loud.

RedGT

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Have mid mufflers and the fr500s axle back mufflers. Nice deep tone not to loud.

RedGT

Why would you need to add mid mufflers when you have FR500S axle back mufflers? Supposedly there is no interior resonance drone from FR500S mufflers at all :shrug:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Haven't owned any Pypes, but my Magnaflows that I was using as resonators got rust all over the end caps of the muffler. I'm guessing they must use lower quality stainless like 409 for the endcaps and inlets on their mufflers.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Your guess would be accurate. Magnaflows are constructed from lower quality 409-grade stainless steel with a polished coating. Not only are the end caps and inlets prone to rust, but so are the welds used to construct them, as the materials are made from aluminized steel.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do they use plain steel welding wire?

That was the complaint with my original set of MBRP axle backs...they were all 304 stainless, including the hangers, except they welded the hangers on with plain steel welding wire and the welds were rusting (along with all the splatter that was on the mufflers, I think I got a set that was built on a Friday afternoon)

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're referring to Magnaflow, I believe they do use either aluminized welding wire or plain steel welding wire. All I know for certain is my welds were also rusted along with splatter on the body of the Magnaflow street mufflers. I've since switched to Borla S-type mufflers.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back to life, as this seems to be the best place to put mid mount questions of mine.

Starting with the fact that I have Cervinis side exhaust with Magnaflow 3" mid mount. I had cats at one time but went Off road H with my headers.... The Drone at cruising speed is nasty and to me sounds like an old beater pickup in 5th gear. All others sound wicked. I have a catted Kooks H which helps but leaving off for now.

So I have been eyeballing these Borla 400831 crate muffler for quite sometime now. (pic below) Spoke to a guys at borla and he recommended this one for mid mount S197 platform. He said they worked with roush on a mid mount setup, never heard or seen that! Looking at the measurements I don't think it will hang any lower than my Cervinis tips do, may be less. Thoughts?

BTW I think hands down the Kooks piping has nice ring to it! Pypes, I am on the fence nowBorla.PNG .

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I doubt those will fit. Just getting straight throughs on there is tough enough when youre trying to align the rest of the system.

Im running 18” cherry bombs now instead of the m80s and have no axle backs and its nasty. I need to cut out more pipe because these mufflers are longer than the m80s they replaced then I can reinstall the axle backs (Pypes muffler deletes). Imo, this setup with an h pipe sounds better and is more tame than most other setups Ive heard. H pipes with glass packs on these cars produces way too much blat and I dont like that.

Im not telling you how to spend your money but Id go with an x pipe to tone it down a bit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back