Motor mount torque specs?

Jay.GT

Reaction score
I know this has been asked multiple times, but does anyone know the spec for the mount to body bolts? I've seen forums say 46lbs and I've seen charts on mustang vender websites say 100+lbs. Pretty big difference.
Thanks in advance

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
The max torque a M10x1.50mm, 10.9 grade bolt is rated for is 50ft-lbs ...

So Use a drop of blue Loctite and torque to 45 ft-lbs, drop of blue Loctite and 35 ft-lbs for the two frame bolts ...

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
just go good and tight, with the medium hold loctite. typically you shouldn't torque to spec when using loctite, you could accidently over tighten with lubricated threads. Just zip it down with an impact and forget about it, and keep in mind aluminum is soft and can easily be damaged while steel can take some abuse.

And shit will get ugly fast if you torque that bolt down to 100Ft pounds

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
just go good and tight, with the medium hold loctite. typically you shouldn't torque to spec when using loctite, you could accidently over tighten with lubricated threads.

completely wrong information, no torque adjustment needed for loctite applications

Just zip it down with an impact and forget about it, and keep in mind aluminum is soft and can easily be damaged while steel can take some abuse.

can you set your impact to 50 ft/lbs? Didn't think so.

OP, use a torque wrench.

Last edited:

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Lubricants change the coefficient of friction if the manufacturer calculates a specific dry torque valve, adding a lubricant will cause a significant increase in tension from what was intended. These are fucking motor mount you ya fuckin nerd run them down with an impact and move on. Or spend hours looks up specs and getting nothing done. Noob

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Lubricants change the coefficient of friction if the manufacturer calculates a specific dry torque valve, adding a lubricant will cause a significant increase in tension from what was intended. These are fucking motor mount you ya fuckin nerd run them down with an impact and move on. Or spend hours looks up specs and getting nothing done. Noob

That was a bit uncalled for,

Presuming the OP is installing Prothane mounts ... they call for 30-ft-lbs, took 5 minutes to find ..

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/installation_instructions/prothane/6505.pdf

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
It is also stated BY LOCTITE that no torque changes are necessary. Noob, about fasteners? hah! You have no idea sir.

Torque specs are supplied for a reason. Yes, it's "only" a motor mount, but you can still break off a bolt by applying too much torque to it. The majority of bolts installed by aftermarket users (in any application, not just automotive) are grossly over-torqued (unless the supplied torque value is applied) which weakens the fastener. So now you've weakened the bolts by who knows how much because you've decided to gorilla it down with your impact wrench. But hey, it's just a motor mount right? Who cares.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yup. A certain someone needs to cool it. Especially with as many questions he asks that a 5 second Google answers

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Who tightens fuckin motor mounts with an impact!?
These aint lugnuts.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Who tightens fuckin motor mounts with an impact!?

I do, but I've been using impact tools for 30+ years. A 3/8 butterfly impact is perfect for motor mounts.

When the actual torque spec is unknown, you can use the 1/4 turn method. Go finger tight, and add no more than a 1/4 turn with a wrench.

Heads, main and rod caps, torque wrench required.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was necessary, sorry. Im sitting at a job site all pissed off with my thumb up my ass because i ordered the wrong front cover for an engine. The one i ordered was for a marine application... and shipped from great Britain(expensive) But yeah i looked it up online and loctite States not to change the torque valve, for whatever reason. In my head i was making a correlation between oil.

Jay.GT

Reaction score
Presuming the OP is installing Prothane mounts ... they call for 30-ft-lbs, took 5 minutes to find ..

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/installation_instructions/prothane/6505.pdf

Except it didn't take five minutes to find. It states to torque the bolts from the bracket to the mount to 30lbs. It then states to tighten mount to body bolts to oem spec. I was asking for the oem spec, since it wasn't specified. Like I said, I've seen things from mid 40's-100lbs.

Thank you for the answers.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
if spec is not known, then I would fall back on the torque spec for the fastener being used, drive_55_not is spot on, 53 ft/lbs for a plain fastener (55 is fine though) or 45 for a zinc coated one, pretty sure oem's are just black oxide coated bolts? i.e.-plain

and at that spec, that's giving you just over 8000 lbs of clamping load. No need to over-tighten. :)

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I only use torque wrenches for internal engine stuff where you're changing the shape of housings. Suspension bolts sometimes as 125 lb ft is tough to judge laying on my back.

There's a lot of slop on both sides of the spec and torsional loads from stuck threads really add up. I really need to sit down and figure out how close to yield typical bolts on these mounts or a front cover get brought up to. It's pretty close iirc.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back