Mustang wont start HELP

Mach0ne

Reaction score
I have a 2007 mustang 4.0L that I've been driving for over a year. It's always started to great and ran great. We just got a cold winter where I live and now it won't start.
The battery died and I charged it. Eventually got it started and it drove fine. When parked again it started up, then when left overnight it didn't start again, just cranked constantly but no start. I found after a lot of trial and error that for some reason pumping the gas pedal gets it started. That worked for a few times until today. Now it won't start even with doing that. U've tried cranking ut without punoing to see if it was flooded, but nothing. It would crank, fire once or twice, then die out again. I have absolutely no clue what the issue could be. I've changed the battery already just in case. It has to be fuel related is what I'm thinking. Could it be the driver side fuel sensor? Or the fuel filter? Any help is appreciated, I've got to make sure I can get to uni this week. Thank you

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your tale of woe. Hopefully we can help you troubleshoot the problem.
When you crank the engine, can you smell any fuel? If there IS any fuel getting into the engine, there should be a strong smell when it isn't being ignited.
If there's none, I'd suggest you work backwards from the fuel pump. Check if you have a 12v supply (ignition on) and a good ground to it. If you do, it's likely the fuel pump is dead. If you don't have 12v, check if you have a 12v supply to the fuel pump driver module. If there's nothing there, the fuel pump relay is the next port of call.
Also check if you have spark 'cause it's possible to lose both fuel and spark at the same time.
If you haven't done so already, scan the ECU for fault codes.
Plenty for you to get your teeth into so let us know what you find.

Mach0ne

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your tale of woe. Hopefully we can help you troubleshoot the problem.
When you crank the engine, can you smell any fuel? If there IS any fuel getting into the engine, there should be a strong smell when it isn't being ignited.
If there's none, I'd suggest you work backwards from the fuel pump. Check if you have a 12v supply (ignition on) and a good ground to it. If you do, it's likely the fuel pump is dead. If you don't have 12v, check if you have a 12v supply to the fuel pump driver module. If there's nothing there, the fuel pump relay is the next port of call.
Also check if you have spark 'cause it's possible to lose both fuel and spark at the same time.
Plenty for you to get your teeth into so let us know what

Plenty for you to get your teeth into so let us know what you find.
I finally got the car started again and it's driving like a dream. Would it still be able to run start and driving if it were any 12v issues or fuel pump related? The problem today was that I had to crank it for so long to pump the gas that the battery died. I put it on a charger for an hour and it started right up, woth pumping the gas a lot again

Mach0ne

Reaction score
It's also important to note that I just had a remote start system installed

DieHarder

Reaction score
It's also important to note that I just had a remote start system installed

Was it doing this prior to the remote start install? One easy test you can do to ensure the fuel pump is working is take out the rear seat and sitting in the car reach back with your left hand and put it on the top of the fuel pump as you turn the key on (KOEO - key on, engine off). You should feel the pump come on for a few seconds to prime and then turn off. That will at least tell you if the pump is priming. If not, start troubleshooting the fuel circuit/FPDM.

beuford

Reaction score
It sounds exactly what my Mark VIII did when the crankshaft position sensor crapped out. I also thought it was the fuel pump after I (incorrectly) replaced the sensor and wiring.

Mach0ne

Reaction score
@DieHarder thought it could be the pump aswell so I hooked it up to a code reader and stats reader. Fuel pump read okay and the fuel pressure (when I finally got it running) was also completely good, exact right pressure. Car still sucks to start and most of the time won't even try, but the fuel pump and pressure all seems okay somehow
Was it doing this prior to the remote start install? One easy test you can do to ensure the fuel pump is working is take out the rear seat and sitting in the car reach back with your left hand and put it on the top of the fuel pump as you turn the key on (KOEO - key on, engine off). You should feel the pump come on for a few seconds to prime and then turn off. That will at least tell you if the pump is priming. If not, start troubleshooting the fuel circuit/FPDM

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
since it keeps not starting after being left overnight and you said it's been real cold there. Maybe the fuel filter is getting frozen and clogged?

DieHarder

Reaction score
pass1over has a point. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Any codes?

Mach0ne

Reaction score
@pass1over @DieHarder I've never changed the fuel filter myself at all, so km not sure of the last time. That was going to be my starting point for fixing it, but could it be that if the car runs fine after started? It never stalls after the initial start and udles fine immediately.

Edqe

Reaction score
Can you hear the pump kick on when you turn the key to the ON position(engine off). Try cycling the key a few times before cracking the engine. If it starts, you may have an internal leak inside the fuel pump assembling.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Changing out the fuel filter is just good preventative maintenance. For the most part gas doesn't start to freeze until -40 to -100F. However, if you have any water in the fuel tank or filter that could certainly cause problems. I would change out the fuel filter first (easy) and if no change pull the pump from the gas tank and take a look inside (a pain, but not too bad. Just be careful with connections and wiring). If you see any water in there you're going to need to get that out. Possible fuel sensor but below may be a better method to get to the right answer.

Something I learned a long time ago. "When all else fails open the books". In the PC/ED (Powertrain Control/ Emissions Diagnostics manual on pg 3-2 is a symptom description. Right at the top it starts with Driveability/Starting Concerns. On the right side of the page is a chart/pg number to reference. Keep following the symptoms and references to narrow down areas to troubleshoot. After that the Pinpoint Tests should help you isolate the problem. That should at least get you in the right ballpark.

Ex: PC/ED manual: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=1
PC/EM https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=5
Symptom charts https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9
Step 2 - No DTC's: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step 2-... Codes (DTCs) Present Symptom Chart Index.pdf
Chart 2 Starting Concerns: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step 3-... Codes (DTCs) Present Symptom Charts.pdf&p=11
Chart 2 - 2nd pg: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=9&f=Step 3-... Codes (DTCs) Present Symptom Charts.pdf&p=12

If the manual references Pinpoint test most of them are found in Section 5: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=5

Hope this helps.

Mach0ne

Reaction score
The fuel pump kicks on everytime I turn on the car. Turning the key on and off does not help at all. I did change the fuel filter and no luck. I'm going to check the tank for water and stuff later. But I've run a full scan if the car and everything read fine. Fuel pressure is right where it should be, Injectors are working, compression is fine. everything i look at seems to be completely fine according to the car. I'm not even sure anymore if it's fuel related or electronic.i feel like I've gone through every piece of fuel related stuff other than the tank, which I will be doing soon

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back