My airbag control module is missing - now what

Kernle32DLL

Reaction score
Hello there,

For a few weeks now, I am the owner of a 2007 V6 Mustang coupe. The car is in rough shape, and I am patching her up again.

I have made good progress so far, figuring out missing pieces, etc. But now I hit a dead end. While disassembling the dashboard, I noticed two plugs behind the AC / radio that attached to nothing. After going trough some documents, I believe this is where the airbag control unit should be.

For one, I have no idea if my car came with side air bags. The seats don't seem to have side air bags (no connectors), but the yellow plug is there under the seats (car side, not seat side). There are no deletes installed either, so they just dangle there. Regardless, its very likely the seats have been replaced in the past anyway.

Then, even if I could get my hands on the right control module, it does says that the module needs some programming. How would I do that? Finding a dealer here that could do the programming will be nearly impossible.

Any help would be appreciated :) And expect follow up questions.

Greetings from Germany!

Kernle32DLL

Reaction score
Found the answer myself. The fact if side air bags came with the car from factory is coded in the VIN. If the 4th place is an H, it came with side airbags. Otherwise, not.

Bigearl

Reaction score
Found the answer myself. The fact if side air bags came with the car from factory is coded in the VIN. If the 4th place is an H, it came with side airbags. Otherwise, not.
I have a module from a 2007 gt (V8) that you can have for $20 + shipping. The vin 4th digit is F

Kernle32DLL

Reaction score
Welp, back with a new problem...

So I did order the right RCM, but it just won't work. In fact I just checked the second RCM I bought, as I was under the impression the first RCM was bad anyway. The RCM I tested today is the exact model Forscan told me that was originally in the car.

So, quite a few things don't add up.

- When loading up Forscan, it says it can't read the RCM
With ignition turned to ON:
- With RCM not installed, passenger airbag light stays lit continuously
- With RCM installed, passenger airbag light turns off few seconds
- With fuse 17 pulled, the passenger airbag light stays off (according to workshop manual it should stay lit)

I am confused. Now what.

EDIT: Before I forget - RCM is bolted down properly. Read somewhere that the RCM chasi is ground. Ground is confirmed, too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back