Nest Thermostat

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually had and used it ? Its time to set up electricity at the house when we move-in in 2 weeks. Its catching my eye. I can sign up with the Nest at 11.9c kwh for 2 years. Or go with a normal plan at like 9.7c kwh.

My question if any of yall have used it, will I actually see savings with it ?

David

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Not yet but the technology looks pretty cool. From what I've read it learns and you can access it via the web as well. I'm sure with any of those cost savings devices the savings is to be made long term. Nothing beats a well insulated house.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ive read alot for the past little bit and can find any info on actual savings. Only 1 person had one which on average 500kwh less per month for 4 months during the summer time in texas.

I know its long term, but they are claiming a 20% savings per month.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Ive read alot for the past little bit and can find any info on actual savings. Only 1 person had one which on average 500kwh less per month for 4 months during the summer time in texas.

I know its long term, but they are claiming a 20% savings per month.

That's a pretty broad claim. Heck, there are months here in Virginia where I don't even turn the thermostat on so how is it going to save me 20% those months? That would mean the months it would save me money it would need to save me 30% or 40%.

FastColt

forum member
Reaction score
I think its more of a convenience thing, the savings are possible but the main thing is that you can control everything from your phone. I was trying to get my folks to buy one for their ski house. Turn the heat on on your way to the house on the weekends.

There are few different companies that offer similar products. I installed a new furnace last year with a fully programable HoneyWell panel. Same deal as the Nest. Its pretty badass if i ever take the time to learn how to use it.

rayS197

Reaction score
You can save $$ with just a plain programmable T-stat. There are plenty of Wifi Stats on the market for half the price if you want total control and settings.

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy one.
We have taken several out, and installed a standard programmable t-stats at the customers request.
Most of them are just a month or two old and we just toss them in the trash.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy one.
We have taken several out, and installed a standard programmable t-stats at the customers request.

Why don't they like them ?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
My buddy has one. He hates it. It's self learning, so it never just does what you want it to. He says it has a mind of it's own. You change the temp once, and it keeps doing it. So you change it back then it starts acting like a crazy woman (unpredictable), except without all the yelling and keyed cars.

rayS197

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy one.
Chad are you in the industry I take it? If so same here.

Last edited:

GT.350-R

3PEDLS
Reaction score
Chad are you in the industry I take it? If so same here.

Yes, about 90% GEO , but still have your gas furnace and boilers from time to time.

And as described above, they have a mind of their own.

Last edited:

rayS197

Reaction score
Nice, we dont see a lot of Geo's. Only those with deep pockets. Boilers we are seeing changing from oil to gas and more are installing Rinnai and Navien combos in lieu of Burnhams etc. Used to work in the field Commerical only.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back